Another Volume of Integration Problem

In summary, the solid is outside of x^2+y^2+z^2=1 and z=2x^2+2y^2+2, yet inside z=4\sqrt{x^2+y^2}. It has the same volume as a sphere with the same radius but is not spherical.
RadiationX
let Q be the solid that is outside both [tex]x^2 +y^2 +z^2=1[/tex] and [tex]z=2x^2 +2y^2 +2[/tex], yet inside [tex]z=4\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

Could someone give me a little jump start on this problem? I would love a complete solution but anyhelp will do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that from negative infinity to infinity in both the x and y axes?

the bounds are the different surfaces

RadiationX said:
let Q be the solid that is outside both [tex]x^2 +y^2 +z^2=1[/tex] and [tex]z=2x^2 +2y^2 +2[/tex], yet inside [tex]z=4\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

Could someone give me a little jump start on this problem? I would love a complete solution but anyhelp will do.

The plot is a cross-section with y=0. You want the green right?

What about a triple in spherical coordinates?
Rock and roll.

Attachments

• filled plot.JPG
    filled plot.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Yes I need the green part of the graph. SaltyDog, what program did you use to generate that graph?

RadiationX said:
Yes I need the green part of the graph. SaltyDog, what program did you use to generate that graph?

Mathematica. Here, this is the code:

Code:
<< Graphics`FilledPlot`
y1[x_] := (1 - x^2)^(1/2);
y2[x_] := 2 x^2 + 2;
y3[x_] := 4 (x^2)^(1/2);
pf1 = Plot[{y1[x], y2[x], y3[x]}, {x, -1, 1}, PlotRange -> {{-4, 4}, {-4, 4}},
     AspectRatio -> 1]
FilledPlot[{y2[x], y1[x], y3[x]}, {x, -1, 1}, PlotRange -> {{-4, 4}, {-4, 4}},
   AspectRatio -> 1]

Of course in Mathematica, you can use real square-roots and exponent symbols. I just used the carrot above so I could cut and paste it here.

However, I'm having problems converting it to spherical coordinates. Maybe you or someone else can do better or perhaps another method can be used.

Last edited:
RadiationX, I think I have it but have to evaluate the integral numerically. First of course is to convert the function:

[tex]z=2x^2+2y^2+2\tag{1}[/tex]

into spherical coordinates (you get a quadratic which you can then solve for rho using the quadratic formula but you need to know which sign to use). You can do that. Then integrate rho from the sphere which is 1 up to this function you expressed as [itex]\rho(\phi)[/tex]. Theta of course goes from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex]. Now phi only goes from 0 to that cone-shaped function:

[tex]z=4\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

Now, you can figure what the max on [itex]\phi[/itex] has to be from that equation right. Can you then post the expression for [itex]\rho(\phi)[/itex] you determined for (1) above as well as the triple integral?

Hey RadiationX, I'm affraid I suggested a method more difficult that it needs to be. Cylindrical shells is the simplest approach and the integrals can be evaluated analytically. Just need to split it up into two (single) integrals. Talk about over-kill up there. :yuck: Can you do this?

You should tell me, "you know Salty, just for recommending that ridiculously complex triple integral up there, you need to spend a lot of time trying to evaluate it analytically, yea, and no Mathematica neither!"

Edit: Hey, I get the same answer for both though so that's encouraging. :smile:

Last edited:
thanks Saltydog would you evaluate it a little more analyticlly for me?
hehe

hello
since iam high concerning in math ,iam looking forward to provide me with math books
(calculus,linear algebra ,abstract algebra,.probpilities,statistics...
evry thing which contains a lot of examples and illustrations
just u can guide me what are the best websites and adresses on the net
iam very thankfu

RadiationX said:
thanks Saltydog would you evaluate it a little more analyticlly for me?
hehe

Here it is in spherical coordinates:

The relationship between spherical coordinates and cartesian coordinates is:

[tex]x=\rho Sin(\phi) Cos(\theta);\quad y=\rho Sin(\phi) Sin(\theta);\quad z=\rho Cos(\phi)[/tex]

We must first convert the upper function, [itex]z=2x^2+2y^2+2[/itex] to spherical coordinates. Doing this, we obtain:

[tex]\rho Cos(\phi)=2\left[\rho^2 Sin^2(\phi)\left(Cos^2(\theta)+Sin^2(\theta)\left)+1\right][/tex]

Solving for [itex]\rho[/itex]:

[tex]\rho(\phi)=\frac{Cos(\phi)\pm \sqrt{Cos^2(\phi)-16\sin^2(\phi)}}{4Sin^2(\phi)}[/tex]

I'll leave it to others to show that the positive value does not converge in the interval of [itex]\phi[/itex] we are concerned with. Therefore, this function in spherical coordinates is given as:

[tex]\rho(\phi)=\frac{Cos(\phi)-\sqrt{Cos^2(\phi)-16\sin^2(\phi)}}{4Sin^2(\phi)}[/tex]

So [itex]\rho[/itex] will be integrated from the sphere which is 1 up to this function. Now,[itex]\phi[/itex] will be integrated from zero to the function [itex]z=4\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]. It's symmetric about the z-axis. So letting y=0 and just pick a number for z, say z=1, we have 1=4x or x=1/4. Thus:

[tex]\phi_{max}=ArcTan(1/4)[/tex]

We can now set up the integral to determine the volume:

[tex]V=\int_0^{\phi_{max}} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_1^{\rho(\phi)} \rho^2 Sin(\phi)d\rho d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Now, how about setting it up in cylindrical shells?

Last edited:
thanks saltydog

Here it is in cylindrical shells:

The diagram below is a cross-section of the region. Consider thin-walled cylinders circling the z-axis (actually y-axis as used here) and split the region of integration into two sections: Section (1) is from x=0 to x=the point where the circle intersects the line y=4x (first vertical line). Region (2) is from that point to the point where y=4x intersects the top curve [itex]y=2x^2+2[/tex] (second line).

Considering in general the volume of the i'th cylinder as:

[tex]V_i=\pi r_i^2(f_a(x_i)-f_b(x_i))-\pi r_{i+1}^2(f_a(x_i)-f_b(x_i))[/tex]

with:

[tex]x_i=\frac{r_i+r_{i+1}}{2}[/tex]

and forming the Riemann sum and taking the limit as the partition goes to zero we obtain:
(or just using the formula in the Calculus book)

[tex]V=V_a+V_b[/tex]

in which:

[tex]V_a=2\pi \int_0^a x\left(2x^2+2-\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx[/tex]

[tex]V_b=2\pi \int_a^b x\left(2x^2+2-4x\right) dx[/tex]

with:

[tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{1}{17}}[/tex]

[tex]b=1[/tex]

That is:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
V &= \int_0^{\phi_{max}} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_1^{\rho(\phi)} \rho^2 Sin(\phi)d\rho d\theta d\phi \\
&= 2\pi \int_0^a x\left(2x^2+2-\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx+2\pi \int_a^b x\left(2x^2+2-4x\right) dx\\
\end{align}
[/tex]

Attachments

• cylindrical shells.JPG
    cylindrical shells.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 434

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a function. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve real-world problems and model complex systems.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to calculate quantities that are difficult or impossible to find using basic algebra. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus, which is essential for understanding many scientific and technological concepts.

3. What are some common techniques used in integration?

Some common techniques used in integration include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques help simplify integrals and make them easier to solve.

4. What are the applications of integration in science?

Integration has many applications in science, such as calculating the work done by a force, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the rate of change of a quantity over time. It is also used in fields like physics, chemistry, and biology to model and analyze systems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

To improve your skills in solving integration problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different techniques. You can also seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, understanding the concept of integration and its applications in different fields can also aid in improving your skills.