Calculating Volume: Rotating Curves About a Line

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary: So in this case, the limits are 1 and 2.In summary, the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y=1/x, x=1, x=2, y=0 about the x-axis can be calculated using the integral \pi \int\limits_1^2 {\frac{1}{{x^2 }}dx}. By using the "disk" method and taking the limit as the number of disks goes to infinity, the integral becomes \pi \int_0^1 x^{-2} dx which can be easily integrated to find the volume. The limits can be substituted with the numbers 1 and 2.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.
y=1/x, x=1, x=2, y=0; about the x-axis

About halfway down, I diverge into two methods. The one on the left I use the method from FrogPad's post in my other thread (or at least my effort to understand the method he describes, btw, thank you). But it gives me 3pi/2. The one on the right gives me the same answer as the back of the book, pi/2. Maybe neither is right, and I coincidentlly got the right answer using the method on the right :bugeye:

Also, am I using the right symbols, etc.?

vol2.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you start off with a summation? Also: the limits are unclear (what is the variable?).

The volume of the solid you obtain by rotating f(x) about the x-axis between x = a and x = b is given by:

[tex]\pi \int\limits_a^b {f\left( x \right)^2 dx} [/tex]

In your specific case, with f(x) = 1/x and the limits given; this comes down to:

[tex]\pi \int\limits_1^2 {\frac{1}{{x^2 }}dx} [/tex]

Can you follow? Can you now compute this integral?

...and

[tex](x^{-1})^2\ne x[/tex]

but

[tex](x^{-1})^2= x^{-2}[/tex]

with the limits, your left-hand column would be right (assuming the integrand is right, as above or in prev. post)

You started off fine. I don't know why you "diverged" as you put it.
(It would also, by the way,be better to write more than just math symbols in your work: explain what you are doing and what each formula represents.)

Using the "disk" method you can imagine the volume divided into many thin disk with center on the x-axis, thickness [itex]\Delta x[/itex], and radius equal to the y value= [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]. The area of each disk is [itex]\pi r^2= \pi \frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] and so the volume is [itex]\pi \frac{1}{x^2} \Delta x[/itex]. The approximate volume of the whole figure then is the Riemann Sum [itex]\Sigma \pi \frac{1}{x^2}\Delta x[/itex].
Now, for some reason, you have [itex]\Sigma \pi x \Delta x[/itex].
Surely you know that 1/x2 is not x!
(Are you subtracting exponents- that's for multiplication, not repeated powers. xmxn= xm+n but (xn)m= xmn. (x-1)2= x-2.

Now take the limit as the number of disks goes to infinity: the Riemann Sum [itex]\Sigma \pi \frac{1}{x^2}\Delta x[/itex] becomes the integral
[tex]\pi \int_1^2 \frac{1}{x^2}dx= \pi \int_0^1 x^{-2} dx[/itex]
That should be easy to integrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Others have pointed out the errors in your OP. If you are about to integrate:
[tex]\pi \mathop {\int} \limits_{1} ^ 2 x \ dx[/tex], the way in the left is correct.
You should note that:
[tex]\mathop {\int} \limits_{a} ^ b x \ dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex], where F is the antiderivative of f.
And in this case, you'll have: [tex]F(x) = \frac{1}{2} x ^ 2 + C[/tex].

Last edited:
TD said:
Why do you start off with a summation? Also: the limits are unclear (what is the variable?).
The first few problems from the notes were done that way. I guess to show us why the integral is set up that way. After the first few examples, the teacher skips that step.

HallsofIvy said:
...(It would also, by the way, to more than just math symbols in your work: explain what you are doing and what each formula represents.)...
Point well taken, especially when I give up for the night and try to pick it up in the morning.

I re-did it and got the correct answer. I'll post my solution anyway, just in case I did something wrong and coincidentally got the right answer.

Thanks for all your explanations. This is starting to become clear. :smile:
vol3.gif

Nice LaTex style :smile:

For the limits, you can just put the numbers.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a solid formed by rotating a curve about a line?

To calculate the volume of a solid formed by rotating a curve about a line, you can use the method of cylindrical shells or the method of disks and washers. Both methods involve integrating the area of cross-sections of the solid along the axis of rotation.

2. What is the difference between the method of cylindrical shells and the method of disks and washers?

The method of cylindrical shells involves integrating the circumference of cylinders formed by the cross-sections, while the method of disks and washers involves integrating the area of circles or washers formed by the cross-sections.

3. Can you explain the concept of "washer method" in volume calculation?

The washer method involves finding the volume of a solid formed by revolving a curve around a line by using the difference of the volumes of two cylinders with different radii. The larger cylinder has a radius that extends to the outer edge of the curve, while the smaller cylinder has a radius that extends to the inner edge of the curve.

4. Is it necessary for the curve to be a function in order to use the disk or shell method?

Yes, the curve must be a function in order to use the disk or shell method. This is because the integrals used in these methods require a function to define the cross-sections of the solid.

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating volume by rotating curves about a line?

This method has many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of objects like vases, bowls, and bottles. It is also frequently used in engineering and architecture to calculate the volume of objects with complex shapes.