1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another volume problem

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.
    y=1/x, x=1, x=2, y=0; about the x-axis

About halfway down, I diverge into two methods. The one on the left I use the method from FrogPad's post in my other thread (or at least my effort to understand the method he describes, btw, thank you). But it gives me 3pi/2. The one on the right gives me the same answer as the back of the book, pi/2. Maybe neither is right, and I coincidentlly got the right answer using the method on the right :bugeye:

Also, am I using the right symbols, etc.?

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Why do you start off with a summation? Also: the limits are unclear (what is the variable?).

The volume of the solid you obtain by rotating f(x) about the x-axis between x = a and x = b is given by:

[tex]\pi \int\limits_a^b {f\left( x \right)^2 dx} [/tex]

In your specific case, with f(x) = 1/x and the limits given; this comes down to:

[tex]\pi \int\limits_1^2 {\frac{1}{{x^2 }}dx} [/tex]

Can you follow? Can you now compute this integral?

4. Sep 14, 2006 #3

J77

...and

[tex](x^{-1})^2\ne x[/tex]

but

[tex](x^{-1})^2= x^{-2}[/tex]

with the limits, your left-hand column would be right (assuming the integrand is right, as above or in prev. post)

5. Sep 14, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You started off fine. I don't know why you "diverged" as you put it.
    (It would also, by the way,be better to write more than just math symbols in your work: explain what you are doing and what each formula represents.)

Using the "disk" method you can imagine the volume divided into many thin disk with center on the x-axis, thickness [itex]\Delta x[/itex], and radius equal to the y value= [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]. The area of each disk is [itex]\pi r^2= \pi \frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] and so the volume is [itex]\pi \frac{1}{x^2} \Delta x[/itex]. The approximate volume of the whole figure then is the Riemann Sum [itex]\Sigma \pi \frac{1}{x^2}\Delta x[/itex].
    Now, for some reason, you have [itex]\Sigma \pi x \Delta x[/itex].
    Surely you know that 1/x2 is not x!
    (Are you subtracting exponents- that's for multiplication, not repeated powers. xmxn= xm+n but (xn)m= xmn. (x-1)2= x-2.

Now take the limit as the number of disks goes to infinity: the Riemann Sum [itex]\Sigma \pi \frac{1}{x^2}\Delta x[/itex] becomes the integral
    [tex]\pi \int_1^2 \frac{1}{x^2}dx= \pi \int_0^1 x^{-2} dx[/itex]
    That should be easy to integrate.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  6. Sep 14, 2006 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Others have pointed out the errors in your OP. If you are about to integrate:
    [tex]\pi \mathop {\int} \limits_{1} ^ 2 x \ dx[/tex], the way in the left is correct.
    You should note that:
    [tex]\mathop {\int} \limits_{a} ^ b x \ dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex], where F is the antiderivative of f.
    And in this case, you'll have: [tex]F(x) = \frac{1}{2} x ^ 2 + C[/tex].

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  7. Sep 14, 2006 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first few problems from the notes were done that way. I guess to show us why the integral is set up that way. After the first few examples, the teacher skips that step.

Point well taken, especially when I give up for the night and try to pick it up in the morning.

I re-did it and got the correct answer. I'll post my solution anyway, just in case I did something wrong and coincidentally got the right answer.

Thanks for all your explanations. This is starting to become clear. :smile:
    [​IMG]

8. Sep 15, 2006 #7

J77

Nice LaTex style :smile:

For the limits, you can just put the numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?