Can Temperature Manipulation Create Lift for Aircraft?

• Thread starter Unbeliever
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether a difference in air pressure achieved through cooling and heating can result in lift for a platform. Various factors such as temperature, density, and pressure are discussed, and different ideas are proposed, including using a rotating wing or a disk-shaped structure. Ultimately, it is determined that the concept is not practical and that wings rely on dynamic pressure rather than static pressure to generate lift.
Unbeliever
I was thinking about Bernouli's principle, which shows how to get lift by creating a difference in air pressure above and below the wings of an aircraft, and became curious as to whether a difference in pressure arrived at by other means might also result in lift. Specifically, if air were chilled below a platform (making it denser) and heated above the platform (making it less dense), would the resulting difference in pressure creaste lift sufficient to raise the platform?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unbeliever said:
I was thinking about Bernouli's principle, which shows how to get lift by creating a difference in air pressure above and below the wings of an aircraft, and became curious as to whether a difference in pressure arrived at by other means might also result in lift. Specifically, if air were chilled below a platform (making it denser) and heated above the platform (making it less dense), would the resulting difference in pressure creaste lift sufficient to raise the platform?

In the Bernouli principle, the upper and lower air is at the same temperature but differernt density, causing the difference in pressure. I think you might have better luck doing that the other way around, as hot air rises. Hot air also exerts the greater pressure because of the higher energy of the air molecules, same as any gas. The density of the air is not the controlling factor, in this case only the pressure.

Thanks shroder! I didn't really expect it to be practical, I was just wondering whether it could provide any lift. I expect that the lift it might provide is less than that needed to generate the cold/hot gradient, since the machinery involved would be fairly heavy, so the lift to weight ratio wouldn't be insufficient to be useful.

What would really happen is the pressures would just equalize if there is no way to keep the air on the bottom and top surfaces separate.

Now would you could do is just heat the entire wing, creating and riding your own updraft.

I was thinking of something with a disk shape, with a rim around the edge extending above and below the surface, like two frisbees stuck together back to back.

if the air is not flowing then the static pressure will be felt on both surfaces, which will be equal to atmospheric. wings utilize dynamic pressure which only exists when the air is flowing.

What does exist is a wing, possibly a cylinder, that rotates around the plane's transverse axis so that air is faster above the wing. Also used as a demonstrator sail.

By the way, forget the tale of faster air because of longer path at the extrados, it's just plain nonsense. Papers, books and teachers who go on telling that just have never seen actual wing profiles.

It seems to me that you're just reinventing the hot-air balloon in a different shape.

1. How does another way to achieve lift differ from traditional methods?

Another way to achieve lift uses a different principle than traditional methods, such as Bernoulli's principle, to generate lift. Instead, it relies on the concept of circulation, creating a vortex over the wing to generate lift.

2. What are the advantages of using another way to achieve lift?

One advantage is that it can generate lift at lower speeds compared to traditional methods. Additionally, it can also provide better control and stability during flight.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using another way to achieve lift?

One potential disadvantage is that it may require more complex wing designs and control mechanisms, making it more difficult and expensive to implement. Additionally, it may not be as well-understood as traditional methods, which could lead to potential safety concerns.

4. How is another way to achieve lift being used in aircraft design?

Another way to achieve lift is being explored and used in various aircraft designs, such as flying cars and vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft. It is also being studied for potential applications in drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles.

5. What further research is being done on another way to achieve lift?

Scientists and engineers are continuing to study and refine the concept of another way to achieve lift, with the goal of potentially improving aircraft efficiency and performance. This includes researching different wing designs and control mechanisms, as well as conducting more flight tests to better understand its capabilities and limitations.