I beleive that light is absorbed by the nucleus of an atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the author's belief that light is absorbed by the nucleus of an atom, rather than the electrons. The author provides reasons for this belief, including the idea that the nucleus determines the orbits of an atom and that the nucleus loses energy upon absorption of photons. The conversation also mentions the potential for the author to be incorrect and invites further discussion on the topic.
benzun_1999
Another way to think ...

Dear reader,
Now what i am writing suerly would look different from the reason give by physicists about black body absorbtion of light.
Before i begin i would like to make certain things clear.
1) let's asume when more energy is given, the speed of electrons does not increase. Only they jump to a higher level.
2) the more further we go from the nucleus, the attractive force between the nucleus and electron get weeker.
3) the attractive force is completely dependent on the nucleus of an atom.
4)when light is absorbed by an atom the electrons jump to a higher level and when light is lost by an atom the electrons fall to a lower level.

now if am wrong any where till now please let me know, don't read the continuation.

i believe that light is absorbed by the nucleus of an atom and not by the electrons.

here are the reasons why i believe so,
i feel that the nucleus on absorbtion of photons lose energy which enable the electrons to jump to higher level.
as mentioned above the nucleus is what determaines the orbits of an atom.

-benzun,
if i am wrong please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would suggest that ALL the electrons go up an energy level when the atom is energised. But that, as far as I know, is not supported by experiments.

Dear benzun,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the absorption of light by the nucleus of an atom. While it is true that the nucleus plays a crucial role in determining the orbits of electrons, it is actually the electrons themselves that absorb the energy from the photons of light.

When a photon of light is absorbed by an atom, it transfers its energy to an electron, causing it to jump to a higher energy level. This is because electrons exist in specific energy levels, and can only occupy those levels. The energy of the absorbed photon must match the energy difference between the current and higher energy level for the electron to make the jump.

Additionally, the attractive force between the nucleus and the electrons does not determine their energy levels. The energy levels are determined by the quantum mechanical properties of the atom, such as the shape and size of the electron orbitals.

I hope this helps clarify the role of the nucleus and electrons in the absorption of light. Keep exploring and questioning the world around us!

1. How does light interact with the nucleus of an atom?

Light can interact with the nucleus of an atom in two ways - through absorption and emission. When light of a specific wavelength is incident on an atom, the electrons in the atom can absorb the energy and jump to a higher energy level. This results in the atom becoming excited, and when the electrons eventually return to their original energy level, they emit the absorbed energy in the form of light.

2. What happens to the absorbed light in the nucleus of an atom?

The absorbed light in the nucleus of an atom is converted into energy and stored in the atom. This energy can then be released in the form of light when the electrons return to their original energy level. This process is known as emission.

3. Can all types of light be absorbed by the nucleus of an atom?

No, not all types of light can be absorbed by the nucleus of an atom. Different atoms have different energy levels, and therefore, can only absorb specific wavelengths of light. This is why objects appear to have different colors - because they reflect or absorb different wavelengths of light.

4. How does the absorption of light by the nucleus of an atom relate to the color of an object?

The absorption of light by the nucleus of an atom is directly related to the color of an object. When an object appears a certain color, it is because that color's wavelength is being reflected by the object, while all other wavelengths are being absorbed. For example, a red object appears red because it reflects red light and absorbs all other colors.

5. What evidence supports the belief that light is absorbed by the nucleus of an atom?

There have been many experiments that have provided evidence for the belief that light is absorbed by the nucleus of an atom. One such experiment is the absorption spectrum, which shows the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed by different atoms. Additionally, the phenomenon of fluorescence also supports this belief, as it involves the absorption and emission of light by the nucleus of an atom.