Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Word for Case

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    I am looking for a word that means "a set of conditions". I was going to use "case", but that is a reserved word in C. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

"State", as in the "state" of a system or object?

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3
    Thank you, but I am using "state" for another data type already. What do you think about "instance"?

5. Jun 15, 2010 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Instance usually refers to a single object or moment in time, a reference to a state of existance, not a reference to the condition of that state.

You could always prefix "state" with a object qualifier, such as object_xyz_state, ...

6. Jun 15, 2010 #5
    Ok, so I won't use instance. I think I will replace my previously name "state" data type with instruction. Because currently the instructions are nested in the "state" type, but the state can be nested within the "instruction" type. So state will be replaced by "instruction", and I can use "state" for a set of conditions. Yes, that is what I will do. Thanks for helping me with this rcgldr.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook