Why is randomization necessary in ANOVA experiments?

In summary, the experiment involved making tablets on six different presses from a possible 10, with two tablets collected from each press every hour for a 4-hour run and then assayed in random order. The null hypotheses that may be tested include whether the presses and hours are fixed or random, and the results can be analyzed using a balanced ANOVA. Randomization is necessary in this experiment to control for extraneous variations, and it can be achieved by randomizing the run order or randomizing the order of assays. Using a two-way ANOVA has advantages over using multiple 2-sample t-tests, as it reduces the chances of committing a type 1 error and allows for testing of interaction effects.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Tablets were made on six different tablet presses from an available 10 during the course of a run (batch). Two tablets from each press were collected during each hour of the 4-hour run. The tablets were then assayed in random order. The results are as follows:
Press
Hour 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 47,49 49,48 46,47 49,50 47,49 50,51
2 48,47 48,47 48,50 47,49 50,49 50,49
3 50,49 47,49 50,49 48,50 51,49 50,48
4 49,48 46,48 50,49 49,48 47,49 49,51

(i) Are the presses and hours fixed or random? What does this mean?
(ii) Explain why randomization is necessary in this experiment. How might randomization be achieved?
(iii) State all the null hypotheses that may be tested. Test each hypothesis (i.e. say whether you accept or reject it, giving reasons for your decision), working in an appropriate order. State your conclusions.
(iv) Outline two advantages of using two-way ANOVA, rather than two separate experiments, to investigate the effects of press and time on assay.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i)the presses are random as 6 were chosen from a possible 10. The hours are fixed as we are looking at the entire run.This means we should use the balanced anova?
ii)randomisation is a way of guarding against axtraneous variations regardless of wether or not we are aware of the source or even the presence of such variation.
randomisation of the run order of individual experiments?
tablet asseyed in rndom order?

iii)im not sure where to start here, i inputed the data into minitab in 3 columns presses tables and assay., I am not sure if this is right or where to go from here...

iv)1 andvantage is that doing multiple 2-sample t-tests would result in an increased chance of committing a type 1 error(ie wrongly rejecting a true null hypothesis)

Physics news on Phys.org
2nd advantage is that ANOVA allows for the testing of interaction effects, this would not be possible using multiple 2-sample t-tests

What is Anova homework help?

Anova homework help refers to assistance or guidance provided to students who are working on assignments related to the statistical analysis method called Analysis of Variance (ANOVA). This method is commonly used in scientific research to compare the means of three or more groups.

Why is Anova important to learn?

Anova is an important statistical method because it allows researchers to identify significant differences between groups and make inferences about the population. It is also a useful tool for determining the effectiveness of different treatments or interventions.

What are the different types of Anova?

There are three main types of Anova: One-Way Anova, Two-Way Anova, and N-Way Anova. One-Way Anova is used when there is only one independent variable, Two-Way Anova is used when there are two independent variables, and N-Way Anova is used when there are more than two independent variables.

What are the basic steps for performing Anova?

The basic steps for performing Anova are: 1) Define the research question and hypotheses, 2) Collect and organize the data, 3) Calculate the sum of squares, mean squares, and F statistic, 4) Determine the critical value and p-value, 5) Compare the p-value to the significance level, and 6) Draw conclusions based on the results.

How can I improve my understanding of Anova?

To improve your understanding of Anova, it is important to practice using the method with different types of data and scenarios. You can also read textbooks, attend workshops or seminars, and seek help from a tutor or mentor. It is also beneficial to have a solid understanding of basic statistics and hypothesis testing before learning Anova.

Back