Ansoft Maxwell virtual vs Lorentz force

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the forces calculated by Maxwell when using virtual forces and Lorentz forces. It is recommended to contact the Maxwell support team for assistance in resolving this issue.
gatopardos
Hello people, I am trying to model a motor in maxwell that has an array of magnets in it , the thing is that I get the non zero forces for the magnets even when there are no excitations if I choose virtual forces , I am selecting the whole array of magnets so the computation should be for the center of mass of the magnet array , I get the correct zero force when I use lorrentz force in magnetostatic solution but if I choose transient analysis only the virtual forces can be chosen and then I get fictitious forces, is this a bug of maxwell or does it have to do with the way the virtual force is computated? What is the difference between virtual and lorentz force in maxwell?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The difference between virtual and Lorentz forces in Maxwell is that the Lorentz force is a physical force that acts on the model due to its interaction with a magnetic field, whereas the virtual force is an artificial force that is used to represent the effect of forces such as gravity or friction. In your case, it sounds like the virtual force is giving you an incorrect result and there may be a bug in Maxwell. You should contact the Maxwell support team for help in troubleshooting this issue.

1. What is the difference between Ansoft Maxwell virtual and Lorentz force?

Ansoft Maxwell virtual and Lorentz force are two different ways of modeling and simulating electromagnetic fields. Ansoft Maxwell virtual is a software program that uses finite element analysis to solve for electromagnetic fields, while Lorentz force is a physical force that is experienced by a charged particle in an electromagnetic field.

2. Which one is more accurate, Ansoft Maxwell virtual or Lorentz force?

It is difficult to say which one is more accurate as both methods have their own advantages and limitations. Ansoft Maxwell virtual is better for complex geometries and can provide a detailed analysis of the electromagnetic fields, while Lorentz force is a more simplified approach that is based on fundamental laws of physics.

3. Can Ansoft Maxwell virtual and Lorentz force be used together?

Yes, Ansoft Maxwell virtual and Lorentz force can be used together in some cases. For example, in a simulation of a charged particle moving in a complex electromagnetic field, Ansoft Maxwell virtual can be used to calculate the field, while Lorentz force can be used to calculate the force experienced by the particle.

4. Is Ansoft Maxwell virtual better for high frequency simulations?

Ansoft Maxwell virtual is better suited for high frequency simulations as it can handle complex geometries and provides a more accurate analysis of the electromagnetic fields. However, it may require more computational resources and time compared to other methods.

5. Can Ansoft Maxwell virtual and Lorentz force be used in any industry?

Yes, Ansoft Maxwell virtual and Lorentz force can be used in various industries such as electronics, telecommunications, automotive, and aerospace. They are commonly used in the design and analysis of electromagnetic devices and systems.