Superconductivity Properties & Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of superconductivity and the properties and applications of superconductors. The participants suggest using Wikipedia and a website called superconductors.org for information and resources. They also mention the importance of understanding the 8 properties of superconductivity and provide a link to a website with diagrams and explanations. The urgency of the topic is also mentioned, as the conversation takes place in the context of an assignment deadline.
yamini
answer me this is urgent..

can you tell me the general properties of superconductivity and applications of superconductivity?

if any websites are there,please tell me the sites i will search,i have gone through google but i couldn't get the answer.if anybody pls send it as a link...please it is urgent because i got to submit my assignment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just go to wikipedia.org and do a search on superconductor. That should get you started, as well as provide you with further links for more detailed research.

berkeman said:
Just go to wikipedia.org and do a search on superconductor.

Has Zz gone on a vacation or something? :biggrin: :wink:

Seriously, it would actually be better for her to google "superconductor" than wiki it.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
Serioously, it would actually be better for her to google "superconductor" than wiki it.

I know, but for basic stuff, wikipedia isn't too bad. And for a newbie to sift through the google hits to get a good overview is sometimes a bit of a challenge. Maybe I should start using hyperphysics more -- I haven't used them much.

berkeman said:
I know, but for basic stuff, wikipedia isn't too bad. And for a newbie to sift through the google hits to get a good overview is sometimes a bit of a challenge.

In this case, the first hit is probably just what the OP wanted: http://superconductors.org
Maybe I should start using hyperphysics more -- I haven't used them much.
HP is a bit terse, but it's a good reference if you know the basics.

neutrino said:
In this case, the first hit is probably just what the OP wanted: http://superconductors.org

Wow, great website! I like the little flashing neon sign for "Highest Tc Claim = 150K" :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Wow, great website! I like the little flashing neon sign for "Highest Tc Claim = 150K" :biggrin:

Although I saw that flashing number, I assumed it to be one of those Weather Underground thingies. :redface:

thankyou for the replies but i have already gone through wikipedia but i could get only 3 properties but actually there are 8 properties...
please if anybody can help me for the explanation...the 8 properties are
(1)the critical field (2)the critical current density (3)meissner effect or perfect diamagnetism (4)type I and type II suprconductors (5)penetration depth (6) flux quantization (7)josephson effect and tunneling and (8)energy gap.
if you know in which website these properties explanation is available with diagrams please reply me...and if u can explain about any of the property above please do that...

yamini said:
www.fremontares.org doesn't contain any stuff..

That link's in berkeman's signature-- it's not a reply to your post!

sorry i didn't saw the line above that website actually i was in hurry to write up my answers..

yamini said:
thankyou for the replies but i have already gone through wikipedia but i could get only 3 properties but actually there are 8 properties...

if you know in which website these properties explanation is available with diagrams please reply me...and if u can explain about any of the property above please do that...

You did see neutrino's post about this great website, right? http://superconductors.org

i have already been to that website but there are only journals and some books about superconductivity which are high level for me for now coz..we are not into the deep

What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and expel magnetic fields when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature. This allows for the flow of electricity with no energy loss, making it a highly desirable property for various applications.

What are the key properties of superconductors?

The key properties of superconductors include zero electrical resistance, 100% efficiency in conducting electricity, and the ability to expel magnetic fields (known as the Meissner effect). They also have a critical temperature, below which they exhibit these properties, and above which they become normal conductors.

What are some real-world applications of superconductivity?

Superconductors have a wide range of applications, including in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines, power transmission lines, particle accelerators, and high-speed trains. They are also used in research for creating strong magnetic fields and in quantum computing.

What are the challenges in practical use of superconductors?

One of the main challenges in practical use of superconductors is the need for extremely low temperatures to achieve the critical temperature. This requires expensive cooling systems and limits the widespread use of superconductors. Another challenge is the brittleness of many superconducting materials, making them difficult to work with and manufacture into usable devices.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using superconductors?

While superconductors have many advantages, there are also potential drawbacks to their use. Some materials can only exhibit superconductivity in very specific conditions, such as ultra-low temperatures or high pressures. There are also concerns about the environmental impact of using certain materials and the energy required to cool them. Additionally, the cost of producing and maintaining superconducting devices can be high.