1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Answer to \ 2/(x-2)^3 dx

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    \ 2/(x-2)^3 dx
    Basically integrating a perfect cube in the denominator with a constant in the numerator

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i thought it would be a form of ln(x), but then, that would mean having atleast some x terms in the numerator which are not there, so, how do i do this? Is there a known pre-fixed solution for these things? Like exp(something)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2
    Use [tex]\int x^ndx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + c[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try writing as 2(x-2)-3. Do you know how to integrate x-3?

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4
    Thanks Arun and Cristo.
    Cristo, I dont know how to integrate x^-3. (i think i might be hopeless, right?)
    Arun, what is the expansion formula you just gave me called? Is there a name for solving by that method? It is applicable to negative powers as well?

6. Jan 14, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Arunbg's formula is the formula for integrating a polynomial function of x. Thus, to integrate x-3 you would use that formula.

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6
    you want to integrate 2(x-2)-3

using this [tex]\int x^n = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + c[/tex]

the first thing you notice is that you add 1 to the power, then you divided by the new power
    after that you multiply by the differntial of what is inside the brackets

8. Jan 14, 2007 #7
    in your question the power is -3

9. Jan 14, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The last bit should read: you divide by the derivative of the term inside the brackets.

(I know it's probably a typo, and it doesn't matter in this case; but it may confuse the OP in future if left uncorrected)

10. Jan 14, 2007 #9
    yes definitely a typo :blushing:
    you always divid by the differential of the inside of the brackets when integrating!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?