Answers to Problems

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a question about these.

Am I allowed to post them on the internet?

Like say I did all the problems from a particular chapter in a textbook, am I allowed to post them on the internet for anyone who needs help with it?

They aren't like assignments or anything.

Answers and Replies

Sure, why not?

You can, but you cannot try to "sell" your solutions, because the questions are copyrighted.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Oh no, I certainly wouldn't sell them.

The idea is basically to just have available solutions online. That's about it.

You can, but you cannot try to "sell" your solutions, because the questions are copyrighted.
If thats the case, then the solutions must have copyright as well.

...just be sure to say [1]-Refrences after you post them :rofl:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If thats the case, then the solutions must have copyright as well.

...just be sure to say [1]-Refrences after you post them :rofl:
I can see some questions having copyright, but that would seem quite rare. Most textbooks have identical questions.

Solutions having copyright? I don't see why they would have copyright. Come up with it independently, and it's yours.

I can see some questions having copyright, but that would seem quite rare. Most textbooks have identical questions.

Solutions having copyright? I don't see why they would have copyright. Come up with it independently, and it's yours.
But the solutions manual is copyrighted, and so you would be screwed.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a question about these.

Am I allowed to post them on the internet?

Like say I did all the problems from a particular chapter in a textbook, am I allowed to post them on the internet for anyone who needs help with it?

They aren't like assignments or anything.
What makes you think posting all the answers would help anyone? The worst thing that could happen to a person studying math is to see the solutions to the problems before he has attempted them.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Warning: if you make any mistakes in your solutions, expect to get sued by some student whose parents are lawyers, when their kid fails his/her exams :eek:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What makes you think posting all the answers would help anyone? The worst thing that could happen to a person studying math is to see the solutions to the problems before he has attempted them.
I can't help the whole world here.

What about the students who did attempt them or completed them? The ones that actually do work. It will help them.

Are you trying to take on PF? :surprised

:tongue2:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Are you trying to take on PF? :surprised

:tongue2:
I wouldn't create a forum. That would be insane. Lots of work goes into that!

LET'S HAVE A FORUM DEVOTED TO SOLUTIONS TO TEXTBOOK EXERCISES HERE AT PF.

One thread for each book. I've already done hundreds of problems to textbook exercises (and typed out). I could upload my solutions. If others did the same thing, everyone will benefit from each other. Such a forum would certainly help each other out.

Last edited:
morphism
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
LET'S HAVE A FORUM DEVOTED TO SOLUTIONS TO TEXTBOOK EXERCISES HERE AT PF.

One thread for each book. I've already done hundreds of problems to textbook exercises (and typed out). I could upload my solutions. If others did the same thing, everyone will benefit from each other. Such a forum would certainly help each other out.
Let's not. It's bad enough as it is now with almost any textbook problem being googlable.

I'm with HallsofIvy on this one.

Well, I guess you're on your own JasonRox.

berkeman
Mentor
There's a difference between posting the final answers and showing the work. Many textbooks show the final answers to odd numbered exercises or whatever, so that students can check their work on their own.

There might be value in that, since homework that is handed in generally requires that enough work is shown to prove that the student understood and worked out the problem on their own.

I think that if you want to show general solutions to a class of problems, make up the problems yourself, and solve them in a tutorial way. There might be value in that, and it wouldn't cause problems with copyrights or with helping students to cheat on their homework (and not learn the material in the process).

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
There's a difference between posting the final answers and showing the work. Many textbooks show the final answers to odd numbered exercises or whatever, so that students can check their work on their own.

There might be value in that, since homework that is handed in generally requires that enough work is shown to prove that the student understood and worked out the problem on their own.

I think that if you want to show general solutions to a class of problems, make up the problems yourself, and solve them in a tutorial way. There might be value in that, and it wouldn't cause problems with copyrights or with helping students to cheat on their homework (and not learn the material in the process).
Well yeah, but lots of questions aren't copyright material. Probably none of them are.

Students who use them for other intended purposes is none of my responsibility.

Also, if you can google them, then why not round them up in one website. Same thing.