Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Answers to Problems

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a question about these.

Am I allowed to post them on the internet?

Like say I did all the problems from a particular chapter in a textbook, am I allowed to post them on the internet for anyone who needs help with it?

They aren't like assignments or anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2007 #2
    Sure, why not?

4. Mar 5, 2007 #3
    You can, but you cannot try to "sell" your solutions, because the questions are copyrighted.

5. Mar 5, 2007 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh no, I certainly wouldn't sell them.

The idea is basically to just have available solutions online. That's about it.

6. Mar 5, 2007 #5
    If thats the case, then the solutions must have copyright as well.

...just be sure to say [1]-Refrences after you post them :rofl:

7. Mar 6, 2007 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can see some questions having copyright, but that would seem quite rare. Most textbooks have identical questions.

Solutions having copyright? I don't see why they would have copyright. Come up with it independently, and it's yours.

8. Mar 6, 2007 #7
  9. Mar 6, 2007 #8
    But the solutions manual is copyrighted, and so you would be screwed.

10. Mar 6, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What makes you think posting all the answers would help anyone? The worst thing that could happen to a person studying math is to see the solutions to the problems before he has attempted them.

11. Mar 6, 2007 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Warning: if you make any mistakes in your solutions, expect to get sued by some student whose parents are lawyers, when their kid fails his/her exams :eek:

12. Mar 6, 2007 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't help the whole world here.

What about the students who did attempt them or completed them? The ones that actually do work. It will help them.

13. Mar 6, 2007 #12
    Are you trying to take on PF? :surprised

:tongue2:

14. Mar 6, 2007 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't create a forum. That would be insane. Lots of work goes into that!

15. Mar 6, 2007 #14
    LET'S HAVE A FORUM DEVOTED TO SOLUTIONS TO TEXTBOOK EXERCISES HERE AT PF.

One thread for each book. I've already done hundreds of problems to textbook exercises (and typed out). I could upload my solutions. If others did the same thing, everyone will benefit from each other. Such a forum would certainly help each other out.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  16. Mar 6, 2007 #15

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's not. It's bad enough as it is now with almost any textbook problem being googlable.

I'm with HallsofIvy on this one.

17. Mar 6, 2007 #16
    Well, I guess you're on your own JasonRox.

18. Mar 6, 2007 #17

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There's a difference between posting the final answers and showing the work. Many textbooks show the final answers to odd numbered exercises or whatever, so that students can check their work on their own.

There might be value in that, since homework that is handed in generally requires that enough work is shown to prove that the student understood and worked out the problem on their own.

I think that if you want to show general solutions to a class of problems, make up the problems yourself, and solve them in a tutorial way. There might be value in that, and it wouldn't cause problems with copyrights or with helping students to cheat on their homework (and not learn the material in the process).

19. Mar 6, 2007 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well yeah, but lots of questions aren't copyright material. Probably none of them are.

Students who use them for other intended purposes is none of my responsibility.

Also, if you can google them, then why not round them up in one website. Same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?