Meshing Parameters for Wind Turbine Blade with 3 Airfoils

In summary, the conversation discusses an error that occurs when trying to create a mesh for a wind turbine blade designed in Solidworks. The error is related to the size of the geometry and can be resolved by adjusting the minimum cell size or modifying the geometry in designmodeler. The expert also requests for the meshing parameters to provide further assistance.
lazarus178
i am new to ANSYS, i designed a wind turbine blade in solidworks, when i try to create mesh it gives me an error. Previously i have made a mesh for a wind turbine blade i used >mapped face mesh then i used sizing and it was done but this blade is a bit different as it has 3 airfoils used in it

lazarus178 said:
i am new to ANSYS, i designed a wind turbine blade in solidworks, when i try to create mesh it gives me an error. Previously i have made a mesh for a wind turbine blade i used >mapped face mesh then i used sizing and it was done but this blade is a bit different as it has 3 airfoils used in it
What is the error message that you recieve?

initially it says the geometry has a lot of nurbs
and after trying to mesh I get 2 error:
1-The following surfaces cannot be meshed with acceptable quality. Try using a different element size or virtual topology.
2-A mesh could not be generated using the current meshing options and settings. Hint: The problem geometry areas might have been highlighted. Switching to wireframe mode may make them more visible.

This can have several reasons. The most common one is that your geometry has very small lines or faces, or small gaps. If your minimum cell size is larger than the minimum line or face size, then it cannot create a mesh. In wireframe mode, the lines where this is happening are shown in a different color, so you can check where the problem occurs. You can then locally create a finer mesh, create a global smaller minimum cell size, or modify the geometry before meshing.

bigfooted said:
In wireframe mode, the lines where this is happening are shown in a different color, so you can check where the problem occurs.
did you mean this?
tzhPXvf.png

Well, if it is only a single edge or sharp corner, only 1 or 2 lines should be highlighted in green, all other lines in wireframe mode should be black.

The first you should do is check the minimum cell size that you allow, and compare this to the minimum edge length in the geometry. The minimum edge length is shown in the pinch controls. The minimum cell size should be smaller than the minimum edge length. You can also create pinch controls, then edges and corners where smaller cells are needed will be ignored. If you have much more than 100 pinch controls, I suggest you either use smaller cells or go back to designmodeler and modify your geometry (merge faces, connect edges, round corners, etc).

Lazarus,

Sorry for the late reply. It would be easier if you could send me the meshing parameters that you provided. Take a snapshot of the meshing parameters you use. May be then I could help you. I have not used Ansys lately. I am working with a different software for unstructered mesh.

1. What is Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh?

Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh is a feature within the Ansys Workbench software that allows users to create and manipulate finite element meshes for structural, thermal, and fluid analysis.

2. How is Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh different from previous versions?

Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh offers improved meshing algorithms, better mesh quality, and a more user-friendly interface compared to previous versions. It also has new features such as automatic mesh sizing and adaptive mesh refinement.

3. Can I mesh complex geometries with Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh?

Yes, Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh has the ability to handle complex geometries and can create high-quality meshes with a variety of elements including tetrahedral, hexahedral, and prismatic elements.

4. Can I import meshes from other software into Ansys 14.5 Workbench?

Yes, Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh supports a variety of file formats for importing meshes from other software, including STL, NASTRAN, and IGES.

5. Is there a limit to the size of meshes that can be created with Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh?

No, there is no specific limit to the size of meshes that can be created with Ansys 14.5 Workbench Mesh. However, the time and resources required to generate and solve larger meshes may increase significantly.