Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ansys Apdl analysis

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm doing structural analysis of honeycomb light weight structures in ansys apdl.. is it possible to mesh and compare element types such as solid, shell and beam elements with respect to max.stress with the same 3D model??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it is not possible. Solid elements require 3-D geometry, shell elements require surface geometries in 3-d space (it might be possible to approximate your honeycomb with surfaces), Beam elements require lines (2-D geometry in 3-D space).

I think you're going to need different geometries for each element type.

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your reply mech engineer.. can u give some examples for it.. so that i can understand more clearly..

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4
    like pics, sites r journals.. im totally new to ansys apdl

6. Jul 25, 2011 #5
    Let me b clear.. Is it possible to mesh first picture with solid elements, and second picture model with shell elements.. it's hollow inside

Attached Files:

7. Jul 26, 2011 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The solid model in the first picture can be meshed, although it's going to take a pretty dense mesh for accurate mechanical properties. It could be the student version of ANSYS will not provide enough mesh elements for what you're hoping to achieve (I think the student vesion is limited to something like 200,000 nodes).

The second picture is not going to work, one because it isn't the correct format for shell elements, and second because its geometry is significantly different than the first model. If you really want to use shell elements, you need to define a surface plane for evey side in the honeycomb of the first picture.

Here is a link to some simple ANSYS tutorials so that you can see what you're getting yourself into: http://www.mece.ualberta.ca/tutorials/ansys/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook