Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS APDL Merge Coincident Lines

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    Hi All :smile:

I am having a little trouble using the NUMMRG command. I don't know if it matters, but I am using this command before meshing (I was told that it does not matter ... and to me, it makes sense to do merging before meshing ... please correct me if this is a bad assumption).

I select the coincident lines that I want to merge using LSEL and then issue the NUMMRG command (via GUI), but instead of merging only the selected coincident lines, it merges ALL of the coincident lines. This does not work for me since I have some coincident lines that I want to keep separate since they represent separate components. From the help:

“The merge operation is useful for tying separate, but coincident, parts of a model together. If not all items are to be checked for merging,
    use the select commands (NSEL, ESEL, etc.) to select items. Only selected items are included in the merge operation for nodes, keypoints, and elements.”

Shouldn’t this merge only the selected lines since we use the merge keypoints option to merge lines?

Thanks for reading.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted