Analysing 2 Material Cylinder w/ Internal Pressure 100 Units

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a two-material cylinder glued together under internal pressure. The problem is that the radial stress at the inner radius does not match the internal pressure and often deviates by 2-3%. The properties used for the analysis include Young's modulus, Poisson's ratio, and mesh properties. The speaker suggests running a mesh convergence study to see if the results change with increased mesh density. The other speaker confirms that they have done so and the solution does converge, but if the mesh is too dense, the stress value can exceed the applied pressure. It is mentioned that the use of midsize nodes may be causing the difference in results due to mesh density or discontinuity.
Shawndude
I am trying to analyse a two material cylinder glued together .The cylinder is subjected to internal pressure of 100 units. The problem i am facing is that the radial stress at the inner radius (where the internal pressure is applied) is not equal to the internal pressure.I.E. if the internal pressure is 100 units ,the radial stress at the inner radius is 98.23. It generally deviates by 2 to 3 percent.I am attaching a contour plot of the radial stress.
I have used the following properties;
young's modulus E1=1e5...E2=2e5
Poisson's ratio is 0.3 for both materials
Mesh properties: smart size no:1(fine)
free mesh
plane 182 has been used. It is a cylinder with zero height hence area has been defined.Only quarter cylinder is analysed and symmetric boundary condition has been implemented.
To find radial stress, rsys,1 command has been used

Attachments

• error1.PNG
    error1.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 431
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you run a mesh convergence study, where you increase the mesh density and see if the results change?

Mech_Engineer said:
Have you run a mesh convergence study, where you increase the mesh density and see if the results change?
I have and the solution does converge but if the mes h is too dense then it crosses the value and keeps on increasing just like in this case where the pressure applied is 100 but stress is 101

Are you using elements with midside nodes? It seems that your mesh results show that the difference is due to mesh density/discontinuity.

Mech_Engineer said:
Are you using elements with midside nodes? It seems that your mesh results show that the difference is due to mesh density/discontinuity.
I am using mid size nodes.

1. How do you determine the internal pressure of a material cylinder?

The internal pressure of a material cylinder can be determined by using the formula P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force exerted on the cylinder, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.

2. What is the purpose of analysing a material cylinder with internal pressure?

The purpose of analysing a material cylinder with internal pressure is to understand the structural integrity and strength of the cylinder, and to ensure that it can withstand the internal pressure without failing or deforming.

3. What factors can affect the internal pressure of a material cylinder?

The internal pressure of a material cylinder can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the cylinder, the thickness and shape of the cylinder, and the type of internal pressure being exerted (e.g. gas, liquid).

4. How is the internal pressure of a material cylinder measured?

The internal pressure of a material cylinder is typically measured using a pressure gauge or a strain gauge. These instruments can provide accurate readings of the pressure within the cylinder.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when analysing a material cylinder with internal pressure?

When analysing a material cylinder with internal pressure, it is important to wear proper protective gear and follow all safety protocols. This includes ensuring the cylinder is properly secured and using appropriate equipment when handling or testing the cylinder.