ANSYS Basics Help: Is Meshing Necessary?

In summary, meshing is an essential component in Finite Element Analysis and is necessary for all simulations using FEA. It is used in 1D, 2D, and 3D models and is necessary for programs such as Ansys, Abaqus, Nastran, and Pam crash. Meshing should be used whenever conducting simulations using FEA.
ashishvinayak
I've been studying ANSYS v11 from a book I bought online. I remember doing the same during my graduation. Now that I am studying in-depth I'd like to know why meshing is required (in more technical terms). Also, I am solving 2D truss related problems where I realize meshing is not done. However, when I checked online 2D truss tutorials suggest implementation of meshing. So what's the right answer? Is it necessary?

Ps. Additional question: I assumed that meshing is something which is attributed only to 3D members. Is this correct?

Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi!

about meshing, you can do 1D meshing (if you are working in beams) 2D or 3D

I'm not good at ansys, but I've found that preprocessor in Ansys is somehow messy and difficult to get used to. I use a magnificent preprocessor called Ansa (I use one of latest versions, 13.1. If you google around you can find it easy, and the good thing about it, is that has capabilities of beeing preprocessor for Ansys, Abaqus, Nastran, Pam crash, etc etc etc

I could use that but that wasn't my question really. I'd like to know when meshing should be used and when it should not be used ?

Meshing is required for all simulations using Finite Element Analysis. You will have to use meshing whenever you try and use programs that use FEA.

Some info on FEA http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094_NoteBook/97ClassProj/num/widas/history.html
and the wikipedia article. (Check the references)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist familiar with ANSYS, I can provide some insight into the necessity of meshing in this software. Meshing is a crucial step in the finite element method, which is the numerical technique used by ANSYS to solve engineering problems. Meshing involves dividing a complex geometry into smaller, simpler elements in order to solve for the behavior of the system at each element, and then combining the results to obtain a solution for the entire system. In simpler terms, meshing allows ANSYS to break down a complex problem into smaller, solvable parts.

In the case of 2D truss problems, meshing may not be necessary because the geometry is relatively simple and can be solved using analytical methods. However, as the complexity of the geometry increases, such as in 3D structures or non-linear problems, meshing becomes essential for obtaining accurate results.

To answer your additional question, meshing is not limited to 3D structures. It is also necessary for 2D problems, such as the 2D truss you mentioned. In fact, the type of mesh used (2D or 3D) depends on the type of problem being solved and the desired level of accuracy.

In summary, while meshing may not always be necessary for simple problems, it is a crucial step in ANSYS for obtaining accurate results in complex engineering problems. I recommend continuing to study and practice meshing techniques in order to fully utilize the capabilities of ANSYS.

1. What is meshing and why is it necessary in ANSYS?

Meshing is the process of dividing a complex geometry into smaller, simpler elements in order to perform numerical calculations. It is necessary in ANSYS because it allows for accurate simulation of physical phenomena and helps to obtain reliable results.

2. Can I skip the meshing step in ANSYS?

No, meshing is a crucial step in the ANSYS simulation process and cannot be skipped. Without proper meshing, the simulation results may be inaccurate and unreliable.

3. How does meshing affect the accuracy of my simulation results?

The quality of the mesh directly affects the accuracy of the simulation results. A well-meshed model will produce more accurate results compared to a poorly-meshed model. Additionally, the size and type of elements used in the mesh can also impact the accuracy of the simulation.

4. Can I use any type of mesh in ANSYS?

ANSYS offers a variety of meshing methods, such as structured, unstructured, and hybrid meshes. The type of mesh to use depends on the complexity of the geometry and the physical phenomena being simulated. It is important to select the appropriate type of mesh for accurate results.

5. How can I improve the mesh quality in ANSYS?

To improve mesh quality, it is important to use a sufficient number of elements and ensure that they are properly sized and distributed. Additionally, using meshing tools such as adaptive meshing and smoothing can also help to improve the overall quality of the mesh. It is also recommended to review and refine the mesh based on convergence criteria.