What is the Best Element for Coupled Field Analysis with ANSYS?

In summary, the author is trying to do a coupled field analysis, FLUID-Structure interaction. Wind strikes normally a panel covered by a very thin and flexible material that is polyethylene film. Displacement of the film is what the author needs. The analysis is 2D. The author creates the flotran environment but when it comes to the structural one, he is a little bit confused. That is because he is trying to find the proper 2D element for the film area that must have DOFs UX,UY AND ROTZ. However, he can solve the problem by using plane or solid elements, but he is a little bit confused with the thickness that is demanded. What is the proper element to
sosat1012
I am trying to do a coupled field analysis, FLUID-Structure interaction. Wind strikes normally a panel covered by a very thin and flexible material that is polyethylene film and displacement of the film is what i need. The analysis is 2D. I create the flotran environment but when it comes to the structural one i am a little bit confused. That is because I am trying to find the proper 2D element for the film area that must have DOFs UX,UY AND ROTZ... that is because the film is both sided pinned (the need for rotz). I can solve the problem by using plane or solid elements no 2D element of this kind has rotational (rotz) degree of freedom. Shell elements do but i am a little bit confused with the thickness that is demanded (i need x direction to be ny thickness) ...what is the proper element to use?

airflow panel
----> '' (pinned)
----> |
----> |
----> | y
----> '' (pinned) |_ x

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly, but make sure you use an element which supports hyperelasticity, because depending on your loads, you may have some excessive deflections.

thanks Minger. Do you know if i could do a coupled analysis where the one is a 2D flotran analysis and the 2nd a structural analysis 1D...maybe i could use SHELL208 line elements that provide rotz as DOF and have hyperelasticity...but is this possible...??

I'm pretty novice at ANSYS (only been working for a few months), and don't really know enough about element types to provide any useful information. Do let us know if you get it working though.

One suggestion is to register for the customer portal www1.ansys.com/customer IIRC, where they have a knowledge base and lots of example input files and such. All else fails, give em a call.

1. What is Ansys coupled analysis?

Ansys coupled analysis is a simulation tool used in the field of engineering to analyze the behavior of coupled systems, where two or more physical phenomena interact with each other. This tool is particularly useful in studying complex systems that involve fluid-structure interactions, thermal-structural interactions, and electromagnetic-thermal interactions.

2. How does Ansys coupled analysis work?

Ansys coupled analysis uses a finite element method to discretize the coupled system into smaller elements, which are then solved using numerical methods. The software uses advanced algorithms and solvers to handle the complex interactions between different physical phenomena and provides a detailed analysis of the system's behavior.

3. What are the advantages of using Ansys coupled analysis?

Ansys coupled analysis offers several advantages, such as accurate and detailed analysis of complex systems, reduced design time and cost, and the ability to simulate different scenarios and optimize the system's performance. It also provides a user-friendly interface and advanced visualization tools to interpret the results effectively.

4. What types of problems can be solved using Ansys coupled analysis?

Ansys coupled analysis can be used to solve a wide range of engineering problems, including fluid-structure interactions, thermal-structural interactions, electromagnetic-thermal interactions, and many others. It is particularly useful in studying systems involving multiple physical phenomena that cannot be accurately analyzed through traditional methods.

5. Is Ansys coupled analysis difficult to use?

While Ansys coupled analysis may have a steep learning curve, it is a powerful and user-friendly tool that can be easily mastered with proper training and practice. Ansys also offers extensive documentation, tutorials, and support to help users get started with the software and make the most out of its capabilities.