Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ansys Element type

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    Hi Friends
    I am new to ansys.
    I designed a beam in Pro.E and save it in igs format and then open it in ansys
    now what element type i should use for this and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

It could be anything from MASS21 to SOLID272. You're going to need to provide some more information on the geometry and analysis type.

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    Thanks
    THE Geometry is simple horizontal beam. Length = 3' width= 1.5' and thickness= 2" and we have to do simple stress analysis.
    now tell me what element type would be best for analysis?
    will the results change with changing element type or will remain same?

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

minger

Science Advisor

If you're analyzing a beam, perhaps a BEAM element would work well for you.
    You can ask me, and just use any of the newer high-order BEAM elements (183 IIRC).
    yup

6. May 27, 2010 #5
    Hi, all!

I am a new user of Ansys Workbench 12. I am trying to create a solid model composed of some solid parts connected each other with contact regions bonded type. I imposed some fixed supports for some faces and a ramped load defined by its components. The materials were defined in engineering data and assigned to parts. When I run the analysis the stresses are almost uniform, the only more coloured portion being situated in the vicinity of the force and support. The materials are linear elastic with density and isotropic elasticity, nothing special. As I can see form the solutin information the mesh is created with solid 186 element type and the contact with conta 174/targe170. I don`t understand where i might be wrong?

7. May 27, 2010 #6
    Is there some sort of Ansys ad campaign going on in this forum?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook