Ansys Element Type: Hi Friends - Why & What to Use?

In summary, the geometry is simple and there is only one force applied, so a SOLID186 element type might work best. The results should remain the same regardless of the element type used. Thanks.
klair
Hi Friends
I am new to ansys.
I designed a beam in Pro.E and save it in igs format and then open it in ansys
now what element type i should use for this and why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It could be anything from MASS21 to SOLID272. You're going to need to provide some more information on the geometry and analysis type.

Thanks
THE Geometry is simple horizontal beam. Length = 3' width= 1.5' and thickness= 2" and we have to do simple stress analysis.
now tell me what element type would be best for analysis?
will the results change with changing element type or will remain same?

klair said:
Thanks
THE Geometry is simple horizontal beam. Length = 3' width= 1.5' and thickness= 2" and we have to do simple stress analysis.
If you're analyzing a beam, perhaps a BEAM element would work well for you.
now tell me what element type would be best for analysis?
You can ask me, and just use any of the newer high-order BEAM elements (183 IIRC).
will the results change with changing element type or will remain same?
yup

Hi, all!

I am a new user of Ansys Workbench 12. I am trying to create a solid model composed of some solid parts connected each other with contact regions bonded type. I imposed some fixed supports for some faces and a ramped load defined by its components. The materials were defined in engineering data and assigned to parts. When I run the analysis the stresses are almost uniform, the only more coloured portion being situated in the vicinity of the force and support. The materials are linear elastic with density and isotropic elasticity, nothing special. As I can see form the solutin information the mesh is created with solid 186 element type and the contact with conta 174/targe170. I don`t understand where i might be wrong?

Is there some sort of Ansys ad campaign going on in this forum?

Last edited:

1. What is Ansys Element Type and why is it important?

Ansys Element Type is a feature within the Ansys software that allows users to define the type of elements used in their finite element analysis (FEA) simulations. This is important because different element types have different capabilities and are better suited for specific types of simulations. Choosing the appropriate element type can greatly impact the accuracy and efficiency of the simulation results.

2. How do I know which Ansys Element Type to use?

The choice of Ansys Element Type depends on the type of simulation being performed and the geometry of the object being analyzed. For example, if the simulation involves bending or flexing, beam elements may be more appropriate. It is important to consult the Ansys documentation or seek advice from experienced users to determine the best element type for your specific simulation.

3. Can I use multiple element types in one simulation?

Yes, Ansys allows users to mix and match different element types in a single simulation. This is useful for complex simulations that involve different types of loading or geometry. However, it is important to note that this may increase the complexity and computation time of the simulation.

4. What are the advantages of using Ansys Element Type?

Ansys Element Type offers a wide range of element options that can accurately model various types of engineering problems. This allows users to simulate and analyze complex structures and systems with high accuracy. Additionally, Ansys Element Type is constantly updated and improved, ensuring that users have access to the latest and most advanced element types for their simulations.

5. Is there a cost to using Ansys Element Type?

Ansys Element Type is a feature within the Ansys software, which can be quite expensive. However, Ansys offers different pricing options for individuals, academic institutions, and commercial organizations. It is important to research and choose the most suitable pricing option based on your needs and budget.