ANSYS etable - hopefully a very basic question

• Thread starter Satchmo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ansys
In summary: In this case, the issue is that the element type being used is a line element (beam3), which only has one node, so there is no way to calculate stresses at specific points on the element. Instead, the stresses are calculated at the element endpoints. Therefore, the valid components for this element type are: X, Y, Z, XY, YZ, XZ, MAG, and IXX, IYY, IZZ, IXY, IYZ, IXZ.In summary, when generating an etable in ANSYS, make sure to use valid items and components for the element type being used.
Satchmo
ANSYS etable -- hopefully a very basic question

Nevermind! Figured it out.

Hi all, thanks for looking.

I feel like this should be pretty straightforward but I'm having a heck of a time getting it to work. In ANSYS I have a simple 2D beam structure. Everything appears to be fine, but I'm getting stuck trying to create a list of stresses. (The assignment asks for an output of maximum stresses, at this point I'm just trying to get any stresses at all!)

I know I should be creating an etable, I'm having no luck doing so. My input file so far is:

Code:
/title,HW3
/prep7
k,1,0,0
k,2,0,0.5
k,3,1,0.5
k,4,1,-0.5
L,1,2
L,2,3
L,3,4
ET,1,beam3
R,1,0.011,0.000494371
MP,EX,1,70600000000
LESIZE,ALL,,,3,1,1,,,
LMESH,all
FINISH
/SOLU
DK,1, ,0, ,0,ALL
DK,4, ,0, ,0,ALL
FK,3,FX,50000
FK,3,MZ, 20000
SOLVE
/POST1
PLDISP,0
/COLOR,WBAK,WHIT
/REPLOT

I've been attempting to generate the etable as follows (for example): etable,"name",S,X
And I am always met with the message "Comp=X is invalid with item = S for the selected set of line elements." I've been trying to find tutorials or examples online and haven't had any luck, making me think I'm missing something extremely fundamental here.

Thanks again for looking!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In ANSYS, when generating an etable, the basic syntax is as follows: ETABLE, table_name, item, comp1, comp2, ....Where the items can be any of the following: S StressE StrainK CurvatureA AreaV VolumeThe components are dependent on the item, and can be any of the following:X, Y, Z, XY, YZ, XZ, MAG, MXX, MYY, MZZ, MXY, MYZ, MXZ, IXX, IYY, IZZ, IXY, IYZ, or IXZ.So for example, if you wanted to generate an etable with the maximum stress in the X direction, the syntax would be:ETABLE, table_name, S, X

1. What is ANSYS etable?

ANSYS etable is a software tool used for data analysis and management in engineering and scientific research. It allows users to organize, manipulate, and visualize large amounts of data in a user-friendly interface.

2. How do I import data into ANSYS etable?

To import data into ANSYS etable, click on the "File" tab and select "Import" from the drop-down menu. Choose the desired data file and follow the prompts to complete the import process.

3. What types of data can be analyzed in ANSYS etable?

ANSYS etable can handle a wide range of data types, including numerical data, text data, and images. It also supports various file formats such as Excel, CSV, and MATLAB files.

4. Can I customize the visualizations in ANSYS etable?

Yes, ANSYS etable offers a variety of visualization options, such as scatter plots, bar charts, and 3D graphs. Users can also customize the appearance and formatting of their visualizations to best represent their data.

5. Is ANSYS etable suitable for beginners?

Yes, ANSYS etable is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, making it suitable for beginners. It offers a simple drag-and-drop interface and provides helpful tutorials and guides to help users get started with data analysis.