1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS etable - hopefully a very basic question

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    ANSYS etable -- hopefully a very basic question

Nevermind! Figured it out.

Hi all, thanks for looking.

I feel like this should be pretty straightforward but I'm having a heck of a time getting it to work. In ANSYS I have a simple 2D beam structure. Everything appears to be fine, but I'm getting stuck trying to create a list of stresses. (The assignment asks for an output of maximum stresses, at this point I'm just trying to get any stresses at all!)

I know I should be creating an etable, I'm having no luck doing so. My input file so far is:

Code (Text):
    /title,HW3
    /prep7
    k,1,0,0
    k,2,0,0.5
    k,3,1,0.5
    k,4,1,-0.5
    L,1,2
    L,2,3
    L,3,4
    ET,1,beam3
    R,1,0.011,0.000494371
    MP,EX,1,70600000000
    LESIZE,ALL,,,3,1,1,,,
    LMESH,all
    FINISH
    /SOLU
    DK,1, ,0, ,0,ALL
    DK,4, ,0, ,0,ALL
    FK,3,FX,50000
    FK,3,MZ, 20000
    SOLVE
    /POST1
    PLDISP,0
    /COLOR,WBAK,WHIT
    /REPLOT
    I've been attempting to generate the etable as follows (for example): etable,"name",S,X
    And I am always met with the message "Comp=X is invalid with item = S for the selected set of line elements." I've been trying to find tutorials or examples online and haven't had any luck, making me think I'm missing something extremely fundamental here.

Thanks again for looking!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted