ANSYS Fluent error reading .cas file

In summary: Remember, practice makes perfect. In summary, the speaker is a first-time user of Ansys Fluent and is following a tutorial for modeling a heat exchanger. They have encountered an error when trying to open a provided mesh file and are seeking help from more experienced Ansys users. Suggestions are given for troubleshooting the issue, including checking the file and version compatibility, following the steps correctly, and seeking additional help if needed.
Tallus Bryne
This is my first time using ansys Fluent, and I am trying to follow this tutorial for modeling a heat exchanger under various conditions. I have been provided with a "Case 1 Mesh" file of the extension type .cas which is to be used in our simulation involving several or one heating element(s) within a channel of running water. When I open ansys and try to read the file I receive the following error:

Error: Invalid section id: %*¥
Error Object: #f

Error: Error reading "\XXXXXX\XXX\XXX\1squareheater.cas".
Error Object: #f

The tutorial simply states that a "window should appear" and the corresponding image shows the fluent window after the mesh has already been displayed. I feel that I'm probably doing something wrong here. Any help from the more ansys experienced would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, welcome to using Ansys Fluent! It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but with some practice and guidance, you'll get the hang of it.

Based on the error you received, it seems like there may be an issue with the file itself. Have you tried checking the file to make sure it is not corrupted or missing any information? Also, make sure that the file is saved in the correct format for Fluent (such as .cas or .msh).

If the file seems to be fine, it could also be an issue with the version of Ansys you are using. Make sure that the version is compatible with the tutorial you are following. Additionally, double check that you are following all the steps correctly and in the correct order.

If the issue persists, I would recommend reaching out to the tutorial's author or posting on an Ansys forum for more specific help. You can also try using a different tutorial or reaching out to Ansys support for further assistance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your heat exchanger simulation!

1. Why am I getting an error when trying to read my .cas file in ANSYS Fluent?

The most common reason for this error is that the .cas file is corrupt or does not match the .dat file associated with it. Make sure that both files are from the same simulation and have not been altered or renamed.

2. How can I fix the error "Error: File format error reading .cas file" in ANSYS Fluent?

This error can occur if the .cas file is saved in a different version of ANSYS Fluent. Try saving the file in the correct version or using the "File > Read Case..." option to open the file.

3. I am receiving the error "Error: Could not read from file" when trying to open a .cas file in ANSYS Fluent. What should I do?

This error can be caused by a number of issues, such as incorrect file permissions or an incomplete file transfer. Make sure the file is not open in any other programs and try transferring it again. If the issue persists, check the file permissions and try opening it on a different computer.

4. How do I troubleshoot the error "Error: Unable to read data from file" in ANSYS Fluent?

This error can occur if the .cas file is missing or if there are issues with the file structure. Check that the file exists in the correct location and try using the "File > Read Case..." option to open it. If the error persists, try rebuilding the file structure using the ANSYS Fluent "File > Rebuild..." function.

5. Why am I receiving the error "Error: Inconsistent grid data found in file" when trying to open a .cas file in ANSYS Fluent?

This error can occur if there are issues with the grid data in the .cas file, such as missing or incorrect data points. Check the grid data in the file and make sure it matches the simulation settings. If necessary, try exporting the grid data from the original software and importing it into ANSYS Fluent.