Ansys: Heat due to Friction

In summary, the conversation was about a B.Tech Project on Finite Element Analysis and the need to generate heat in Ansys through friction between two sliding bodies. There was mention of the relationship between work and heat and the request for someone to explain the procedure in detail. Unfortunately, the person was unable to provide assistance due to lack of experience with Ansys.
grt1710
I am doing my B.Tech Project on Finite Element Analysis. I need to generate the following thing in Ansys - One body slides over another and due to friction, heat is generated.

Can anyone please help me out how to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a stationary object and another is rubbed on it heat is generated. The heat generated equals the work done. The work in ft-lbs can be directly equated to BTU's by dividing the ft-lbs by 778. The work done is frictional force times distance.

Don't know if this answers your question.

Hi Lawrence,

That is true but that is not what I am looking for. I need someone to explain the procedure to simulate this in Ansys. I am trying a lot in vain. Please help me out :(

Unfortunately in my career with a chemical company, I did not use ANSYS. So I am afraid I cannot help you. I did a considerable amount of work with FE but it was in the area of heat transfer and stress analysis. For stress problems I used NASTRAN and SDRC softwares.

On the lighter side, objects sliding on one another and heating is frowned upon in the chemical industry.

Hopefully you can find an instruction manual for ANSYS. It is very powerful software.

Oh okay.
If someone can please explain me a detailed procedure of doing the problem in vm229 (verification manual) of Ansys 11 or 12, it will be really helpful.
Please help me out friends! :(

1. What is Ansys and how does it relate to heat due to friction?

Ansys is a computer-aided engineering software used for simulation and analysis of various physical phenomena, including heat transfer. It can be used to simulate the effects of friction on heat generation and distribution in a system.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat generated due to friction in a system?

The amount of heat generated due to friction depends on factors such as the type of material, surface roughness, relative velocity, and contact pressure. These factors can be inputted into Ansys simulations to accurately predict the heat generated.

3. How accurate are the heat generation predictions made by Ansys?

The accuracy of predictions made by Ansys is highly dependent on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made. With accurate inputs, Ansys can provide very precise and reliable predictions of heat generation due to friction.

4. Can Ansys be used to optimize designs for reducing heat due to friction?

Yes, Ansys can be used to simulate and analyze different design scenarios to optimize designs and reduce heat generation due to friction. This can lead to improved performance and efficiency of systems.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using Ansys for heat due to friction simulations?

One limitation of using Ansys for heat due to friction simulations is that it relies on accurate inputs and assumptions, which can be challenging to obtain in real-world scenarios. Another challenge is that Ansys simulations can be computationally intensive and require powerful hardware to run efficiently.