Modelling a mechanical element in ANSYS

In summary, the conversation discusses using ANSYS to model a mechanical element and obtaining reaction forces at the supports. The PRINT REACTION SOLUTIONS PER NODE command provides a list of nodes and their single reaction forces. The question is whether it is possible to obtain the total reaction at each support instead of just the single reaction at the nodes. The conversation also briefly mentions using web resources for ANSYS tutorials and post-processing scripts for integration.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have modelling a mechanical element in ANSYS. Those who have used it will know what I am talking about. I want to obtain the reaction forces at the supports (Fx,Fy,Fz,Mx,My,Mz). So I go to List Reaction forces command window and Ansys gives me a list of nodes and its single reaction:

PRINT REACTION SOLUTIONS PER NODE

***** POST1 TOTAL REACTION SOLUTION LISTING *****

LOAD STEP= 1 SUBSTEP= 1
TIME= 1.0000 LOAD CASE= 0

THE FOLLOWING X,Y,Z SOLUTIONS ARE IN GLOBAL COORDINATES

NODE FX FY FZ MX MY MZ
1424 0.44869E-01 0.66813E-02 0.78517E-01-0.49352E-01 0.20655E-03 0.20254E-03
1425 0.83405 0.73892 2.3231 -5.4600 -0.54559E-03-0.28838
1426 -0.57409E-01 0.76036E-02 0.10521 -0.58399E-01-0.15650E-06 0.33950E-02
...(more)

Something like that. I suppose that all these nodes are the nodes at the boundaries, which are for instance, each of the four supports of the element.

My question is: Is there anyway to obtain the TOTAL (RESULTANT) reaction in each support, instead of the single reaction in the nodes coincident with the boundaries?.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is not a reply to your question, but I wondering if you know any web sresources for ANSYS, like ANSYS tutorials or e-books etc

Thanks

Sorry, I don't. I used the tutorial which goes inside the Ansys software.

"ANY" - within a post processing script at least (can do pretty much anything, but can be laborious), I'll check the post processor manual how it goes, can't remember from the top of my head, what particular element type you're using?

You tried etable & the post-processing calculator operations? I'd script the extraction & do the integration in a macro but if could get it done there or without exporting the data otherwise would be easier.

1. What is ANSYS and how is it used in mechanical element modelling?

ANSYS is a powerful engineering simulation software that is used for performing finite element analysis (FEA). It allows you to create virtual models of mechanical elements and analyze their behavior under different conditions. It is commonly used for solving complex engineering problems and optimizing designs.

2. How do I create a mechanical element model in ANSYS?

To create a mechanical element model in ANSYS, you will need to first import your CAD geometry into the software. Then, you can define material properties, boundary conditions, and loads for your model. Finally, you will mesh your model and run the simulation to analyze its behavior.

3. What are the different types of mechanical elements that can be modelled in ANSYS?

ANSYS offers a wide range of elements that can be used to model different types of mechanical structures, such as beams, plates, shells, solids, and joints. Each element has its own unique properties and is suitable for specific types of analysis.

4. How can I validate the accuracy of my mechanical element model in ANSYS?

The best way to validate the accuracy of your mechanical element model in ANSYS is to compare the simulation results with real-world data or analytical solutions. You can also perform sensitivity analyses by varying certain parameters to see how they affect the results.

5. Are there any tips for improving the efficiency of mechanical element modelling in ANSYS?

Some tips for improving the efficiency of mechanical element modelling in ANSYS include simplifying your model as much as possible, using symmetry and mirroring techniques, and utilizing adaptive meshing. It is also important to check for convergence and make adjustments as needed to ensure accurate results.