Ansys Maxwell - Coordinate System Limitations

In summary, the person encountered a problem with simulating permanent magnets in Ansys Maxwell. They needed to define a proper coordinate system for each magnet, but could only define 255 of them. They were unable to assign new coordinate systems to the magnets due to a limitation. However, they were able to solve the problem by using a newer version of the software, ANSYS Electronics Suite, instead of Ansoft Maxwell.
Y_G
Hi everybody, I encountered a problem simulation of permanent magnets (PM) in Ansys Maxwell. There are many PM in my simulation and I need to define for each of them a proper coordinate system (CS). But I could only defined 255 CS. After that I can create new CS but It won't be possible to assign it to the PM. Is there any limitation on defining more than 255 CS?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Y_G said:
Hi everybody, I encountered a problem simulation of permanent magnets (PM) in Ansys Maxwell. There are many PM in my simulation and I need to define for each of them a proper coordinate system (CS). But I could only defined 255 CS. After that I can create new CS but It won't be possible to assign it to the PM. Is there any limitation on defining more than 255 CS?
Actually I was able to solve the problem. Older versions have limitations. The problem will be solved by modeling in new versions.
ANSYS Electronics Suite instead of Ansoft Maxwell!

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. What is the coordinate system used in Ansys Maxwell?

The coordinate system used in Ansys Maxwell is a right-handed Cartesian coordinate system, with the x, y, and z axes representing the three dimensions of length, width, and height respectively.

2. Are there any limitations to the coordinate system in Ansys Maxwell?

Yes, there are some limitations to the coordinate system in Ansys Maxwell. It cannot handle non-orthogonal or skewed coordinate systems, and it is not suitable for modeling curved geometries.

3. Can I change the coordinate system in Ansys Maxwell?

Yes, you can change the coordinate system in Ansys Maxwell by using the "Transform" feature. This allows you to rotate, translate, or scale the coordinate system to better fit your model.

4. How does the coordinate system affect my simulation results in Ansys Maxwell?

The coordinate system can affect your simulation results in Ansys Maxwell if your model contains non-orthogonal or skewed geometries. In these cases, it is recommended to use a different software or manually adjust the model to fit the limitations of the coordinate system.

5. Is there a way to work around the coordinate system limitations in Ansys Maxwell?

Yes, there are some workarounds to the coordinate system limitations in Ansys Maxwell. One option is to use the "Rotate" feature to align your model with the coordinate system. Another option is to manually adjust the model to fit the limitations, but this may be time-consuming and may not always be feasible.