ANSYS: Create & Connect Multiple Bodies

In summary, ANSYS has the ability to differentiate multiple bodies from imports and can be split into separate bodies using the freeze and slice operations. However, frozen bodies may not be transferred and analyzed in Mechanical.
fedor1ht
Hello,

In DM, how can I create two separate bodies which are connected to each other? Apprently, ANSYS would merge them as one body by default.

I've checked the manual and put one of them into frozen body, they did separate as two. However, I can't transfer the model to Mechanical, I assume frozen bodies can not be transferred and analyzed. What should I do?

Thanks.
Fedor

Engineering news on Phys.org
ANSYS is perfectly capable of distinguishing multiple bodies from imports in Parasolid (*.x_t) or step (*.stp, *.step). It's also relatively simple to split them by either a sketch or plane, to do this you must first "freeze" the bodies. Once frozen, simply insert a "slice" operation and choose the plane you wish to slice with.

What is ANSYS and what is its purpose?

ANSYS is a computer-aided engineering software used for simulation and analysis of various physical phenomena in different industries. It allows engineers and scientists to create and test virtual prototypes of their designs, saving time and resources in the product development process.

How can I create and connect multiple bodies in ANSYS?

To create multiple bodies in ANSYS, you can use the Design Modeler module to generate 3D geometries or import them from other CAD software. Then, you can use the connectivity tools in ANSYS to connect the different bodies and define the relationships between them.

What is the purpose of connecting multiple bodies in ANSYS?

Connecting multiple bodies in ANSYS allows you to simulate the interaction between different parts of a design or system. This is especially useful in complex systems where the behavior of one component can affect the performance of another, such as in structural analysis or fluid dynamics simulations.

Can I edit or modify the connected bodies in ANSYS?

Yes, you can edit and modify the connected bodies in ANSYS using the Design Modeler or other modules such as SpaceClaim or Mechanical. You can make changes to individual bodies or the connections between them, depending on your simulation needs.

What types of analysis can I perform on the connected bodies in ANSYS?

ANSYS offers a wide range of analysis capabilities, including structural, thermal, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic simulations. With the connected bodies, you can perform various analyses such as stress analysis, heat transfer, fluid flow, and more, to evaluate the performance of your design in different operating conditions.