Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS scripting in Workbench .

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    ANSYS scripting in Workbench.....

I am not sure whether im using perfect terminology or not, I want to create a program using ansys workbench such that I will give input/parameters to the program, what all operations/analyses has to be done will be specified in program and will finally obtain results.....this can be done with Mechanical APDL language in Ansys classic that im aware of....but which language does Workbench use??? and where is option in the software where we can type our program???

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: ANSYS scripting in Workbench.....

What you're asking for is ANSYS APDL. Workbench does not have a scripting language, because it in turn uses APDL for it's own scripting language.

4. May 30, 2012 #3

Thank You......
    But cant we create interface kind of thing where we will give input n program will lead us to result in workbench????
    and if yes from where to start can you just give outline????

5. May 30, 2012 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What exactly are you trying to achieve? You can import and export APDL files through Workbench, and you can import ANSYS results in Workbench as well. I don't think you're understanding the difference between Workbench (basically just GUI) and APDL (underlying language Workbench uses).

6. May 30, 2012 #5

Yes sir im little confused...I just want to create a program in workbench with predefined analysis where we will just have to give input parameters n result will appear...was preoccupied with thought that workbench uses other language python and not APDL....now ill start with my project...if i need any help will again come to u....thanks ur reply will help me..

7. Jun 4, 2012 #6

APDL is the "classic" way to automate ANSYS, but not the only way. For example, you can now use a Python journal file to automate simulation by changing input parameters. You can use the Workbench API to build custom forms and vertical applications. Many legacy products that are now part of ANSYS Workbench can continue to be customized using their native scripting enviorment. For example, Jscript for ANSYS Mechanical, APDL for Mechanical APDL , Scheme for Fluent and so on. Additionally you can customize Project Schematic, Design Exploration, and Engineering Data in ANSYS 12.1 and later
    using Python. Hope this helps.

8. Jun 4, 2012 #7

yes sir it helped...ill msg u if i need further guidance

9. Nov 9, 2012 #8

Hi,I did a model in APDL.....now I want to use that in workbench is it possible..... I tried export option in APDL but its not working.....as it generates a file that matches none of the format that workbench uses like igs,iges..... can somebody help me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook