Ansys Workbench : How to make a deformable face?

In summary, the person is using Workbench 14.5 structural to model the stretching of a 3D object with a hole. They are experiencing a problem with the upper and front faces deforming and want them to stay flat while stretching. They are unable to use frictionless support due to the forces in other directions. The solution is to add a rigid body constraint to the upper face, with constraints on all 6 degrees of freedom.
mhiran
I am using Workbench 14.5 structural and trying to model stretching of a 3D with a hole. the boundary conditions i am using are (as in the image):
1. frictionless support for below, left and back faces
2. displacement for right face
as you can see in the result the upper face deforms and that is my problem. i want it to stay flat and just stretch and move. the same problem is in front face.
I can't use frictionless support because the magnitude forces on other directions should be zero.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 592
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would appreciate it if anyone can help me.thanksA:I think you need to add a rigid body constraint to the upper face. This will keep the upper face from moving during the stretching of the part. The rigid body constraint would be on all 6 degrees of freedom (X,Y,Z translation and X,Y,Z rotation).

1. How do I create a deformable face in Ansys Workbench?

To create a deformable face in Ansys Workbench, you will need to use the Meshing tool. First, select the face or faces that you want to make deformable. Then, go to the Meshing tab and click on the "Create Mesh" button. Under the "Mesh Control" section, select "Deformable" as the mesh type. Finally, click on the "Generate Mesh" button to create your deformable face.

2. What is a deformable face in Ansys Workbench?

A deformable face in Ansys Workbench is a face that can be easily manipulated and deformed during simulation. This allows for more accurate and realistic results, as the face can adapt to changes in the surrounding environment or forces being applied to it.

3. How do I apply boundary conditions to a deformable face in Ansys Workbench?

To apply boundary conditions to a deformable face in Ansys Workbench, you will need to go to the Analysis tab and select the "Boundary Conditions" option. Then, select the deformable face and choose the type of boundary condition you want to apply, such as displacement or force. You can then specify the magnitude and direction of the boundary condition as needed.

4. Can I use a deformable face in Ansys Workbench for structural analysis?

Yes, a deformable face can be used for structural analysis in Ansys Workbench. By making a face deformable, you can simulate the behavior and response of a structure under various loads and conditions. This can help engineers and designers optimize their designs for maximum strength and durability.

5. Are there any limitations to using deformable faces in Ansys Workbench?

While deformable faces can greatly enhance the accuracy and realism of simulations in Ansys Workbench, there are some limitations to consider. The complexity of the geometry and the meshing process can significantly impact the performance and accuracy of the simulation. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and limitations before using deformable faces in your analysis.