Ansys Workbench Static Structural

• Thread starter Meliani
  • Start date
Hello Guys
I am New here on the foum
Well i am simulating a static structure (Picture attached) on ansys and til now i have a result divergence when i apply different forces.
i guess my loads and fixed supports aren't well defined.
Please Help i know it s a bit long but please give it some time.
image link: https://ibb.co/h3mAc6
the cylinders in the bottom are just made to simulate the behavior of the bolts and first i applied a fixed support on it.
For the load i made a face split on back face of the top part of the assembly (circle coccentric with the groove) since there will be a part to be supported on that face.

Answers and Replies

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Your image doesn't have enough context to tell us what the problem is. Can you summarize your boundary conditions and what you're trying to solve for?

Well
I am trying to solve the equivalent stress on the differents parts and the directional deformation
First when i define a frictional contact btw different part (threads and the contact in washers), i get an error message ( diverged solution and contact status has an abrupt change )
For boundry conditions, in the bottom of the image there is 4 cylinders , i fix all apparent surfaces, and apply a remote force on the back face of the L part located in the center of the elongated hole !
Once this settings defined i have a 700mpa stress, but i am using S235Jr steel and 8.8 steel for bolts nuts and washers !
Please help
Thank you a lot !!

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You don't mention what version of ANSYS you're using, but in any case you'll need to make sure you've got your settings right. Contact conditions are a pretty complicated topic, but in general here is some of the feedback I give every time. It's possible you don't need contact conditions at all; unless you expect to see a lot of movement at the bolts and washers I would seriously recommend you consider bonding them using a multi-body solid. Alternatively, consider deleting your washers altogether and then use a contact condition with just your bolts.

Contact condition guidelines:
  1. Pay close attention to your mesh density in the contact conditions. The mesh should be of similar size on both sides of the contact, you can use a "contact condition mesh refinement" to make sure this happens. I'd also recommend using hex-dominant mesh where possible, tetrahedrons tend to make for rougher stress gradients.
  2. Make sure you use an "Augmented Lagrange" formulation for the contacts between the components. This formulation tends to work best for me in most conditions.
  3. As a start, make the contact condition between the parts frictionless. Once you get it to converge, then you can think about considering friction.
  4. Make sure your contact condition forces update every substep, and split your problem into MANY substeps (on the order of 100).
Try this out and see what happens.