1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ant Path

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    Hello Everybody,
    I just wanted to know how do ants follow the same path?:uhh:
    I mean how does the ant latter ant follow preceding ants path altough it might not have actully been guided to it.
    Also how do they take a particular path?

I would be very happy to know.:smile:
    Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From the wikipedia article on ants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant): [Broken]
    Ants communicate with each other using pheromones. These chemical signals are more developed in ants than in other hymenopteran groups. Like other insects, ants perceive smells with their long, thin and mobile antennae. The paired antennae provide information about the direction and intensity of scents. Since most ants live on the ground, they use the soil surface to leave pheromone trails that can be followed by other ants. In species that forage in groups, a forager that finds food marks a trail on the way back to the colony; this trail is followed by other ants, these ants then reinforce the trail when they head back with food to the colony.​

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Oct 20, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

And every colony has a unique phermone. Ants don't get confused by foreign trails.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Oct 20, 2009 #4
  6. Oct 20, 2009 #5
    This is all too interesting, I had this problem the other day in my bathroom; A trail of sugar ants were climbing along the wall. I knew that they follow a trail via scent so I sprayed and wiped along a three or so foot section of their path with deodorant and it had a moderate degree of success.

7. Oct 31, 2009 #6
    Gee !!! I didn't know that!!
    Thanks very very much for your help!!!:smile::smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook