Ant Reproduction Without Queen: Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using ants to speed up the composting process. However, it is determined that ants are not efficient at breaking down woody tissues and other methods such as adding nitrogenous wastes, keeping it warm and moist, and periodically churning the compost would be more effective. The conversation also mentions that pill bugs and sow bugs are better at decomposing wood and are more closely related to shrimp than millipedes.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Can ants reproduce without their ant queen?
Supposed I trap some ants, perhaps tens to 1 hundred. And I keep them in a box, ventilated with some food - candy; chocolate; Will they reproduce, considering in 1 hundred ants, not all of them will be all males or all females. Or they need the ant queen?

Thank you very much.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
While there are ways that ant colonies can recover from the loss of a queen, that's not what you've got here. You've extracted some workers and isolated them. They won't have developing pupae or eggs, they won't have males (unless you were sure to capture some of them), they don't have a colony.

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus, you clearly have too much spare time on your hands :oldlaugh:

Likes Stephanus
phinds said:
Stephanus, you clearly have too much spare time on your hands :oldlaugh:
Come on. I'm trying to put some ants in my composter bin, see if they can multiply and eat all the organic material there to speed up the process.

No, that won't work. Even if I capture the ant queen. I just convert the organic waste to ants, and there will be more ants.

Stephanus said:
No, that won't work. Even if I capture the ant queen. I just convert the organic waste to ants, and there will be more ants.
That depends on your end-goal.

If what you are trying to accomplish is reduce/eliminate bulk, then no, you will have just as much.
If what you are trying to accomplish is produce compost for your garden while diverting it from a landfill, then you may be on to something.

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:
Come on. I'm trying to put some ants in my composter bin, see if they can multiply and eat all the organic material there to speed up the process.
Ha. Great idea. Then you will be overrun with ants. :smile:

Likes Stephanus
phinds said:
Ha. Great idea. Then you will be overrun with ants. :smile:
Read this Phinds!
Stephanus said:

Stephanus said:

Ants are pretty inefficient compared to other critters eg worms

Likes Stephanus
davenn said:
Ants are pretty inefficient compared to other critters eg worms
Oh. Thank you very much davenn. Good tips

Composting.
Cellulose and lignin are complex carbohydrates that make up the conductive tissue in plants - fibers, vessel elements, and so on. Wood is made largely of these - so are plant stems, nut husks, etc.
Animals - unless they have gut symbionts like termites and horse and cows do - are not good at breaking down woody tissues. Bacteria and fungi are good. Ants are animals, not so good.

If you want to speed up composting you change the rate at which cellulose "eaters" do their job:
1. add nitrogenous wastes(garbage and spoiled foods) or even fertilizer to compost.
A new all sawdust pile when composted goes faster with water, fertilizer, and a handful of compost from another active older pile.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_mold
2. keep it warm
3. keep it from drying out and add water once in a while, it needs to be very damp.
4. if you continually add new "fodder" then periodically churn up the compost to break up layers.
5. up to a point chopping the new material into small pieces speeds things up - more surface area.
- what I guess you hoped the ant addition would provide. Pogonomyrax (Harvester) ants will whack plants but they drag off the plant pieces to the colony.

Last edited:
Likes Stephanus
Pill bugs / sow bugs / cannonball bugs are very good at decomposing wood.
(Did you know that, being Crustaceans, they are more closely related to shrimp than they are to millipedes?)

Likes Stephanus
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. I'm learning composting now. I join gardener forum to learn "how to do" the composting.
And I use PhyicsForum for the science behind it :smile:
Thank you so much.

1. What is the role of a queen in ant reproduction?

In most ant species, the queen is responsible for laying eggs and producing new offspring. She is also in charge of maintaining the unity and organization of the ant colony.

2. How do ants reproduce without a queen?

In some species, worker ants are able to lay unfertilized eggs that develop into male ants. These male ants then mate with female ants from other colonies, allowing for reproduction without a queen.

3. Can all ant species reproduce without a queen?

No, not all ant species have the ability for workers to reproduce and create new offspring. This is a unique trait found in certain species, such as the Asian Weaver ants.

4. How does the lack of a queen affect the ant colony?

Without a queen, the colony may not have a central figure to guide and organize them. This may lead to a less efficient and smaller colony, as well as a higher mortality rate for the ants.

5. What are the potential benefits of ant reproduction without a queen?

One potential benefit is the ability for the colony to produce new offspring even in the absence of a queen. This allows for the survival and growth of the colony, even if the queen dies or is unable to produce new offspring.