Antarctica sunset/sunrise

• Thread starter natski
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of observing a sunset or sunrise at the highest altitude possible in Antarctica, specifically at the Vinson Massif mountain. The dates and times for the last sunset and first sunrise are provided, along with information on temperatures and potential cloud cover. It is mentioned that the sun spirals around the sky in the poles, making the experience of sunrise/sunset potentially less exciting. It is also noted that the dates and times should be corrected for altitude.
natski
Hi all,

I was under the impression that during the winter the sky is always dark in Antarctica. I am specifically interested in the mountain Vinson Massif. I am trying to find out at what time of the year one could observe either a sunset or sunrise under the coldest conditions possible and at the highest altitude possible. Vinson Massif seems to me to be the best pick of both of these conditions.

So can anyone tell me the date of the last sunset in the summer and the first sunrise in the winter? Also, do you know kind of temperature to expect at the summit of Vinson Massif at these moments? Finally, is there often cloud cover below the summit which would block viewing of the ground below?

Thanks.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Voila

Last sunset prior to the winter 22 April 1803 GMT
First sunrise August 21 1700 GMT

Data can be computed here:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

Scroll down to Form B:

Long: west 85 degrees 37 minutes
Lat: South 78 degrees 32 minutes

Temperatures: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/work/gistemp/STATIONS//tmp.700890340000.1.1/station.txt [Broken] (Belgrado station)

monthly averages around -18 -20 degrees celsius, not corrected for orographic effects.

better bring a body wamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
natski said:
I was under the impression that during the winter the sky is always dark in Antarctica. [...] I am trying to find out at what time of the year one could observe either a sunset or sunrise [...]

Poles actually do not have a "long day" and a "long night" as such, but more like one normal day stretched accros the whole year. The sun is spiralling across the sky, one full circle each standard day, rather than moving in an arc that we've come to expect in the small to moderate lattitudes. So, there is one long dawn, long morning, long afternoon, etc.

The "sunrise" would be the tip of the sun starting to circle around the horizon, growing more and more until it fully pops up (in couple of standard days?) Therefore, not that I was there to see it personally, but I imagine that observing sunrise/sunset on the poles would be quite a boring experience... Unless, perhaps, you were stationed there for months already, and are eagerly awaiting it :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

Also about those dates and times, those should be corrected for altitude. The higher you are the earlier the sun rises. Should be easy math though.

1. What is the duration of a sunset/sunrise in Antarctica?

The duration of a sunset or sunrise in Antarctica varies depending on the time of year. During the summer months, the sun may not set at all and there is 24-hour daylight. In the winter, the sun may not rise for several months. However, during the transitional seasons of spring and fall, the sunset/sunrise can last for several hours.

2. Why is the sunset/sunrise in Antarctica known as the "Golden Hour"?

The sunset/sunrise in Antarctica is known as the "Golden Hour" because the sunlight during this time is softer and warmer in color, creating a beautiful golden glow. This is due to the angle of the sun's rays passing through the Earth's atmosphere at the Earth's poles.

3. Is it possible to see the Aurora Australis during a sunset/sunrise in Antarctica?

Yes, it is possible to see the Aurora Australis, also known as the Southern Lights, during a sunset/sunrise in Antarctica. This phenomenon occurs when charged particles from the sun collide with gases in Earth's atmosphere, creating a colorful display of lights in the sky.

4. How does the sunset/sunrise in Antarctica impact the wildlife?

The sunset/sunrise in Antarctica plays a crucial role in the daily routines of the wildlife in the region. Many species, such as penguins and seals, use the position of the sun to navigate and hunt for food. The changing light also affects their breeding and molting cycles.

5. Can you take a photo of the sunset/sunrise in Antarctica?

Yes, you can take a photo of the sunset/sunrise in Antarctica. However, due to the extreme conditions and remote location, it may be challenging to capture the perfect shot. It is recommended to have proper photography equipment and to consult with experienced guides for the best locations and timing.