Antenna Gain vs Effective Area

In summary, the equation for antenna gain is based on reciprocity and thermodynamic balance between a resistive load connected to the antenna and a black body "target" surface at the same temperature. The wavelength^2 term is included in the equation because of the power radiated towards the antenna from the black surface. As we move towards visible wavelengths, the gain vs effective area equation must follow the Planck equation to preserve thermodynamic balance. This may result in a different radiation pattern than the classically expected one. There is a lack of discussion on this topic in optical communications, but some explanations based on the Rayleigh-Jeans formula can be found.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I have been looking for info on the physical basis for this antenna equation :

Gain = 4 * Pi * (Effective Area ) / Wavelength^2

I have found some tutorials that say it is based on reciprocity, and more specifically, on thermodynamic balance between a resistive load connected to an antenna, and a black body "target" surface at the same temperature as the load.

Briefly, it seems that the wavelength^2 term comes in because the power radiated towards the antenna from the black surface contains this factor (a la the Rayleigh-Jeans eqn).

My question is, what happens to the above equation as we move towards visible wavelengths? If thermodynamic balance is to be preserved, then the gain vs effective area equation would have to follow the Planck equation. Does this mean the radiation pattern would change in a different way from the classically expected one?

I ask this because I have found that many discussions on optical communications assume that the classical antenna equations can be used to find the antenna gain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! I also posted a query on this topic after you. Unfortunately there were no responses. However I have done some reading of my own and have come to a an (imperfect) explanation of the wavelength dependence of the effective area of an antenna. If you are still interested in the topic, please let me know. Then I will post my views on the issue. And I am also very interested in your explanation invoking the Rayleigh Jeans formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between antenna gain and effective area?

Antenna gain refers to the measure of the increase in signal strength of an antenna in a specific direction compared to a reference antenna, while effective area is the measure of the ability of an antenna to convert incoming electromagnetic waves into electrical signals.

2. How do antenna gain and effective area affect the performance of an antenna?

Antenna gain and effective area are both important factors in determining the performance of an antenna. Higher antenna gain can improve the range and directionality of the antenna, while a larger effective area can improve the sensitivity and reception of the antenna.

3. Can antenna gain and effective area be increased or decreased?

Yes, both antenna gain and effective area can be increased or decreased by adjusting the physical characteristics of the antenna, such as its size, shape, and directionality.

4. Is there a relationship between antenna gain and effective area?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between antenna gain and effective area. As antenna gain increases, so does the effective area, meaning that the antenna can convert more incoming electromagnetic waves into electrical signals.

5. How do I determine the appropriate antenna gain and effective area for my application?

The appropriate antenna gain and effective area for an application will depend on its specific requirements, such as the desired range, directionality, and sensitivity. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to technical specifications to determine the best antenna for your specific needs.