Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Antenna inside of a cavity

1. Mar 20, 2017 #1
    Hi ,
    what happen if a half dipole linear antenna is placed inside an electric conducting resonant cavity? The cavity itself is the conductive ground of the half dipole antenna. How can I solve such problem in which the cavity works as resonant cavity and it is part of the antenna itself?
    Cheers
    massi

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a sketch of the antenna inside of the resonant cavity? Given the antenna pattern of a monopole antenna, I'm having trouble visualizing a resonant cavity shape that would work.

And why use a monopole antenna instead of a full dipole antenna if you want to make this work inside a resonant cavity?

4. Mar 20, 2017 #3
    the system looks like this

upload_2017-3-20_17-43-53.png
    massi

5. Mar 20, 2017 #4

berkeman

That only looks like it would be "resonant" in some very complex modes. What is the overall goal with this? Is it just an exercise in simulation for school, or does it have some practical application?

6. Mar 20, 2017 #5
    it is a simulation exercise,

cheers
    massi

7. Mar 20, 2017 #6

berkeman

What simulation software are you using? Please show us your work so far on this exercise...

8. Mar 21, 2017 #7
    I just need to solve this exercise to calculate the system behaviaur, please if you have a book about it or suggestions I really appreciate.
    thanks in advance
    cheers
    massi

9. Mar 21, 2017 #8

berkeman

That will be a pretty complicated solution without useing COMSOL or a similar simulation package. What is your background in antenna theory and E&M. What year are you at university? Which class is this for?

Have you had basic antenna theory like in this book?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Kzq7CA0cL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51Kzq7CA0cL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

10. Mar 21, 2017 #9
    I am in the last year, I have some experience with cavity and antenna radiation but I am not such expert, I didn't know this book thank you
    m

11. Mar 21, 2017 #10

berkeman

Your sketch shows the reflecting cavity in the near field. That also will make the calculations/simulations more complex. Is that your intent?

12. Mar 21, 2017 #11

berkeman

13. Mar 21, 2017 #12
    yes it is that

14. Mar 21, 2017 #13

berkeman

Well, I don't think you'll be able to make much progress without using simulation software. Do you have access to COMSOL or a similar E&M simulation package through your university? I don't see how they could give you an assignment like this without giving you access to proper simulation software...

15. Mar 21, 2017 #14
    It seems that soon I can chose or CST or comsol software but I should still learn how to do it..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted