Radiation Intensity of Dish Antenna - Sean's Question

• Thread starter seang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary, the radiation intensity of a dish antenna is dependent on the angle theta and the distance R, but independent of the rotational angle Theta. This is due to the use of spherical coordinates with the Z axis pointing towards the peak of the antenna lobe. While there may be differences in the antenna pattern due to factors such as antenna feed geometry and polarization, for large round parabolic dishes, these differences are usually small and do not significantly affect the main beam.
seang
the radiation intensity of a dish antenna is supposedly given by K(theta) = blah blah something.

I don't understand why the radiation doesn't also vary in rho. Does this mean that the radiation is the same for all rho? I'm having trouble picturing that in my head I guess.

Thanks;
Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
A dish antenna is similar to a parabolic mirror.
It produces a beam much like a flashlight.
Does that help any?

when i think parabolic mirror i think that as the reflected light moves away from the mirror, it converges. when i think flashlight, i think of a diverging beam of light. is this wrong, too? haha.

in either case, i still don't understand how a three dimensional lobe can be represented by a function of one variable. what am i missing?

seang said:
when i think parabolic mirror i think that as the reflected light moves away from the mirror, it converges.

no, it moves away from the mirror in parallel lines.

with a semester of calculus (and the trigonometry you normally get by then), you can actually show that this is the case for a quadratic function (which is the shape of a parabolic mirror).

seang said:
the radiation intensity of a dish antenna is supposedly given by K(theta) = blah blah something.

I don't understand why the radiation doesn't also vary in rho. Does this mean that the radiation is the same for all rho? I'm having trouble picturing that in my head I guess.

Thanks;
Sean

If you use spherical coordinates with the Z axis pointing directly out of the dish in the direction of the peak of the lobe, then the radiation intensity is dependent on the angle theta out from the Z axis and dependent on the distance R away from the antenna, but independent of the rotational angle Theta about the Z axis. Does that make sense?

seang said:

Thanks;
Sean

Many of the analysis procedures assume radial symmetry, which leads to a symmetric antenna pattern. In practice, symmetry is often, but not always the case. For example, the antenna pattern will be dependent on the geometry and polarization of the antenna feed. In the case of linearly polarized antennas, you sometimes will see differences in the so-called E-plane and H-plane patterns. Also, you may see offset parabolic antennas which are more elliptical in shape, which breaks the symmetry of the pattern. (Homes with satellite TV or the VSAT antennas often on top of gas stations are good places to see these.)

As a general rule of thumb for large, round parabolic dishes, however, these differences are usually small and only really affect the sidelobes far away from the main beam.

berkeman said:
If you use spherical coordinates with the Z axis pointing directly out of the dish in the direction of the peak of the lobe, then the radiation intensity is dependent on the angle theta out from the Z axis and dependent on the distance R away from the antenna, but independent of the rotational angle Theta about the Z axis. Does that make sense?

wow yeah that makes perfect sense. i don't know what i was thinking. thank you.

1. What is the importance of radiation intensity in dish antennas?

The radiation intensity of a dish antenna is important because it determines the strength of the signal that is transmitted or received. A high radiation intensity means a stronger signal, while a low radiation intensity means a weaker signal. This is crucial for effective communication and signal transmission in various applications such as TV broadcasting, satellite communication, and radar systems.

2. How is the radiation intensity of a dish antenna calculated?

The radiation intensity of a dish antenna is calculated by multiplying the power radiated in a certain direction by the square of the distance from the antenna. It can also be calculated by measuring the electric field strength at a specific distance from the antenna and using the formula for radiation intensity.

3. What factors affect the radiation intensity of a dish antenna?

The radiation intensity of a dish antenna can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the antenna, the frequency of the signal, the distance from the antenna, and the type of material used in the construction of the antenna. These factors can impact the direction and strength of the radiation pattern of the antenna.

4. How can the radiation intensity of a dish antenna be increased?

The radiation intensity of a dish antenna can be increased by increasing the power input to the antenna, increasing the size of the antenna, or by using a more directional antenna design. Additionally, using a reflector behind the antenna can also increase the radiation intensity by focusing the signal in a specific direction.

5. What are the units of radiation intensity in dish antenna?

The units of radiation intensity in dish antennas are watts per square meter (W/m²). This unit represents the amount of power that is transmitted or received by the antenna per unit area. It is a measure of the strength of the electromagnetic field in a particular direction from the antenna.