Antenna Resistance: Complex Implications in Real Life

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of impedance in antenna design. The complex part of impedance is explained and its significance in real life is discussed. It is used with complex notation for oscillation current and is related to complex voltage using a form of Ohm's law. The norm and angle of Z in the complex plane determine the effective resistance and phase shift between voltage and current. The use of impedances in circuit analysis is also mentioned.
Seanskahn
Hello community

Sorry if this is a repost, but I don't find what i am looking for.

I am reading the book "anntenas", by Kraus and Marhefka

In page 30, says the antenna impedances are complex. Z{[tex]\tau[/tex]} = +
R{[tex]\tau[/tex]} + jX{[tex]\tau[/tex]} ..

Could anyone please tell me what does the complex part imply in real life, and why is it regarded as complex.
Thank you

edit: the tau is supposed to be subscripted, but it is appearing as superscript :s

Physics news on Phys.org
Impedance is used with complex notation for oscillation current. Suppose you have current oscillation at frequency ω and amplitude I0. Then the current is given by:

[tex]I = Re(I_0 e^{i \omega t}) = I_0 cos(\omega t)[/tex]

The complex voltage is related to complex current using analog of Ohm's law.

[tex]V = Re(Z I_0 e^{i \omega t})[/tex]

If Z is real, this is no different from Ohm's Law. But let's substitute your complex form in.

[tex]V = Re((R + iX) I_0 e^{i \omega t})[/tex]

[tex]V = I_0 Re(R e^{i \omega t} + X e^{i (\omega t + \frac{\pi}{2})})[/tex]

[tex]V = I_0 R cos(\omega t) - I_0 X sin(\omega t)[/tex]

The first term is still just IR, but second term is phase-shifted by 90°. This expression can also be re-written using a single cosine function.

[tex]V = I_0 \sqrt{R^2 + X^2} cos(\omega t + \tan^{-1}(\frac{X}{R}))[/tex]

In other words, the norm of Z gives you the ratio of peak voltage to peak current, and so plays a role of effective resistance, while the angle of Z in complex plane gives you the phase shift between voltage and current.

hi K2

Thanks you for the reply

then let me ask the next obvious question.
why don't we then just use any 2 dimensional plane for the Z vector?

etheta is still sin(theta) + cos(theta), albeit the sin and cos part is summed, and not distinguishable

Because then you can't write V = ZI. Multiplication is not defined in vector spaces, but is defined in complex space.

It's just a convenience, though. You can solve any circuit using ordinary voltage and current by breaking up each into sin and cos components. It just gets a little messy. Once you know a few tricks, working with impedances is very fast.

hi K2

thank you very much.

1. What is antenna resistance?

Antenna resistance is a measure of how much an antenna resists the flow of electric current. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of an antenna.

2. How is antenna resistance measured?

Antenna resistance is typically measured using an instrument called an antenna analyzer. This tool sends a small signal through the antenna and measures the impedance, or resistance, at different frequencies.

3. What are the implications of high antenna resistance in real life?

High antenna resistance can lead to decreased efficiency and performance of the antenna. This can result in weaker signal strength and poorer reception. It can also cause increased power consumption and potential damage to the antenna or connected equipment.

4. How does antenna resistance affect different types of antennas?

The effect of antenna resistance can vary depending on the type of antenna. For example, a high antenna resistance may not significantly impact the performance of a small dipole antenna, but it can greatly affect the performance of a large Yagi antenna.

5. How can antenna resistance be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce antenna resistance, including using high-quality materials, properly matching the antenna to the transmission line, and optimizing the design and placement of the antenna. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help reduce resistance and improve performance.