Understanding the Ephemeral Nature of Life: Anthony Zee on Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter Shaun Culver
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, Zee is saying that the ephemerality of life is a key reason for the development of quantum field theory.
Shaun Culver
I'm not sure if this post belongs in this forum; feel free to move it.

In his book, 'Quantum field theory in a nutshell', Anthony Zee writes:
"Quantum field theory arose out of our need to describe the ephemeral nature of life."

What does he mean by this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a standard motivation for quantum field theory that Zee has phrased in an unusual way.

Two paragraphs down, Zee writes "It is is in the peculiar confluence of special relativity and quantum mechanics that a new set of phenomena arises: Particles can be born and particles can die. It is this matter of birth life and death that requires the development of a new subject in physics, that of quantum field theory."

So, "the ephemeral nature of life", here, refers to the observed fact that particles 'are not forever' in some abstract sense. What confuses me about his quote is the possibility that he may be referring to biological "life" in some way.

Shaun Culver said:
So, "the ephemeral nature of life", here, refers to the observed fact that particles 'are not forever' in some abstract sense. What confuses me about his quote is the possibility that he may be referring to biological "life" in some way.

Even though Zee purposely makes it sound that way, Zee is not referring to biological life, he is referring to the fact that, because of [itex]E=mc^2[/itex], a theory is needed that can accommodate the creation and annihilation of particles.

If quantum field theory is truly "fundamental" enough for us to understand how the properties of biological organisms arise from the properties of elementary particles, then by describing the nature of the elementary particles, one would also be describing the nature of life. We don't know if this is true, but as far as we know quantum field theory is consistent with quantum mechanics, which is consistent with chemistry, which is consistent with biology.

In one of Anthony Zee's ASTI lectures (http://www.asti.ac.za/avi/14-Zee-QuantumFieldTheory-2.avi), he comments on this quote. After reciting the quote (3.30 min.), he says:

"Which I feel more and more as I get older."

Then he recites a Chinese phrase which "describes the nature of life": (at 3.40 min.)

"Life is just clouds and smoke passing in front of our eyes."

This seems to obscure the neat explanation that George Jones has given.

Last edited:
Shaun Culver said:
In one of Anthony Zee's ASTI lectures (http://www.asti.ac.za/avi/14-Zee-QuantumFieldTheory-2.avi), he comments on this quote. After reciting the quote (3.30 min.), he says:

"Which I feel more and more as I get older."

Then he recites a Chinese phrase which "describes the nature of life": (at 3.40 min.)

"Life is just clouds and smoke passing in front of our eyes."

This seems to obscure the neat explanation that George Jones has given.

Not really. Zee is just being poetic.

This is typical of him.

Life is just clouds and smoke is just a metaphor. And a metaphor is just a metaphor is a rose.

Aah ! Literary criticism on PF on a quantum physics book :!)

Zee may be being poetic, but what about the quote:

"Quantum field theory arose out of our need to describe the ephemeral nature of life; which I feel more and more as I get older."

If indeed the quote is stated in the same sense as George Jones' explanation, why would the creation and annihilation of particles/photons be a source of doubt each day for many years. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Shaun Culver said:
"Quantum field theory arose out of our need to describe the ephemeral nature of life; which I feel more and more as I get older."

If indeed the quote is stated in the same sense as George Jones' explanation, why would the creation and annihilation of particles/photons be a source of doubt each day for many years. Am I missing something?

Quantum field theory describes ephemeral particles, which underlie life, which is also fleeting, which he understands more and more as he gets older.

1. What is the context of Anthony Zee's quote?

The quote is from physicist Anthony Zee's book "Fearful Symmetry: The Search for Beauty in Modern Physics" which explores the fundamental concepts of symmetry and beauty in physics.

2. What does the quote mean?

The quote is open to interpretation, but it could be interpreted as a reflection on the intricate and interconnected nature of the universe, and the endless possibilities and mysteries that await discovery.

3. Who is Anthony Zee?

Anthony Zee is a theoretical physicist and professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is known for his contributions to the fields of quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology.

4. Has Anthony Zee's quote been widely discussed in the scientific community?

Yes, Anthony Zee's quote has been widely discussed and referenced in the scientific community, especially in the context of discussions about the beauty and complexity of the universe.

5. What is the significance of the quote in the field of science?

The quote highlights the awe and wonder that many scientists feel when studying the natural world, and serves as a reminder to always keep an open mind and continue exploring the mysteries of the universe.