Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anthrax equipment for sale

1. Oct 6, 2003 #1

Tsu

Gold Member

Interesting report on NBC Nightly News:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/976759.asp

edit (written after first two responses): Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. I got interrupted as I was posting this. The point is, if you watch the video of the report, you can get some real nice equipment REAL CHEAP! I knew russ would be all over it before I got back. Yes, dears. I know. If I want some anthrax, I'll go to my neighbors sheep ranch and get me some.:wink: But there are a lot of nice science folks living here and the gov't has a warehouse full of expensive (albeit a tad out of date) equipment that can be had for a song. So keep your shorts on. (Ah. The good old bait and switch routine. Gotta love it! )

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2003 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this joke? Any can buy lab equipment but not every body can get a strain pathogenic towards human. I don't even have to buy the equipment, I could produce such a thing in my lab. Newsmedia are really goog at scarying people and anyway anthrax is not a good biological weapons in term of killing but it is good agent of terror.

4. Oct 6, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Most people would be shocked to learn what kind of equipment is used in commercial drug labs: Industrial sized FOOD processing equipment. The same Hobart mixer your lunch lady used to make soup.

Its just like nuclear weapons - they aren't that tough for a handful of engineers and physicists to build, the tough part is getting the nuclear material.

This just in: explosive making ingredients found in local hardware and grocery stores. Story at 11.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?