Solving Anti-Derivatives for (x(x-4)^7) | Homework Statement

• Thread starter A_Munk3y
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral problem and understanding the use of the constant (C) in the solution. The expert explains the process of differentiation and how the constant is treated. The person seeking help also mentions their lack of understanding of integration fundamentals and how they used a previous example to solve the problem. The expert then suggests using a substitution to simplify the solution.
A_Munk3y

Homework Statement

m31n8.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, i didn't know how to put this on the forum so i did it on paint and uploaded it to tinypic.

Here is the image of the "attempted" solution.
149yt6d.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Best check is to differentiate

Last edited:
Oh, ok, but how do i differentiate the c and what do i do to bring back the x when i differentiate? (since i changed the x to u+1)

What's the derivative of a constant?

A_Munk3y said:
Oh, ok, but how do i differentiate the c and what do i do to bring back the x when i differentiate? (since i changed the x to u+1)
The x is already "back": differentiate [itex](1/9)(x- 1)^9+ (1/8)(x- 1)^8+ C[/itex].

I'll be frank here, if you don't know what to do with the c then you probably don't have a clue why you put it there in the first place. You should go back and read up on the fundamentals of integration.

HallsofIvy said:
The x is already "back": differentiate [itex](1/9)(x- 1)^9+ (1/8)(x- 1)^8+ C[/itex].
(x-1)8+(x-1)7 => (x-1)7x (im guessing the c is a constant?)

Mentallic said:
I'll be frank here, if you don't know what to do with the c then you probably don't have a clue why you put it there in the first place. You should go back and read up on the fundamentals of integration.

we never learned the fundamentals of integration :)
We are going to learn them today, this is just a problem she gave us and said to try to solve it on our own. (like a heads-up kind of thing)
I just looked up an example and tried to copy it and i really have no idea what c is. (so i guessed :D)

Oh ok, in that case, yes the c is just a constant so whenever you take the derivative of a constant it is always 0.

Ok so are you satisfied? Did you get from (x-1)8+(x-1)7 => x(x-1)7 by some process or did you just assume it should be equal?

i actually assumed it should be equal :)
I'm really bad at simplifying, but i thought it should equal that.

Well since you have two factors, (x-1)8 and (x-1)7 and you need to get to 1 factor, then you should factorize! Letting (x-1)7=u will make things a lot more easy to spot.

oh...

so then it would be u[x-1+1]?
then the -1 and 1 cancel out, and you get u[x]

Yep :tongue:

great! Thank you so much :biggrin:

Why were you "guessing" that C was a constant? You were the one who put it in there weren't you? What did you think it was when you added it to the solution?

i wasn't sure. Like i said, i had never done integrals before so i just looked at another problem and tried to copy the steps that it took to solve. Constant made the most sense so that's what i guessed it was.

1. What is an anti-derivative of x(x-4)^7?

An anti-derivative of x(x-4)^7 is any function whose derivative is equal to x(x-4)^7. In this case, the anti-derivative is (1/9)(x-4)^9 + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. How is an anti-derivative different from a derivative?

An anti-derivative is the reverse operation of a derivative. While a derivative gives us the rate of change of a function, an anti-derivative gives us the original function itself. In other words, an anti-derivative "undoes" the process of differentiation.

3. What is the process for finding an anti-derivative?

The process for finding an anti-derivative is called integration. It involves using a set of rules and techniques to "undo" the process of differentiation. One common method is using the power rule, where we increase the power of the variable by 1 and divide by the new power.

4. Can there be multiple anti-derivatives for a single function?

Yes, there can be multiple anti-derivatives for a single function. This is because when we integrate, we add a constant of integration (C) at the end, which can take on any value. Therefore, the family of anti-derivatives of a function will differ only by a constant value.

5. What is the significance of anti-derivatives in calculus?

Anti-derivatives are important in calculus because they allow us to find the original function when we only know its rate of change. They also have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and economics, where we need to find the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a period of time.