Anti-deriv (x(x-4)^7)

• Thread starter A_Munk3y
  • Start date

Homework Statement

m31n8.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, i didn't know how to put this on the forum so i did it on paint and uploaded it to tinypic.

Here is the image of the "attempted" solution.
149yt6d.jpg

Answers and Replies

lanedance
Homework Helper
Best check is to differentiate

Last edited:
Oh, ok, but how do i differentiate the c and what do i do to bring back the x when i differentiate? (since i changed the x to u+1)

lanedance
Homework Helper
What's the derivative of a constant?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh, ok, but how do i differentiate the c and what do i do to bring back the x when i differentiate? (since i changed the x to u+1)
The x is already "back": differentiate [itex](1/9)(x- 1)^9+ (1/8)(x- 1)^8+ C[/itex].

Mentallic
Homework Helper
I'll be frank here, if you don't know what to do with the c then you probably don't have a clue why you put it there in the first place. You should go back and read up on the fundamentals of integration.

The x is already "back": differentiate [itex](1/9)(x- 1)^9+ (1/8)(x- 1)^8+ C[/itex].
(x-1)8+(x-1)7 => (x-1)7x (im guessing the c is a constant?)

I'll be frank here, if you don't know what to do with the c then you probably don't have a clue why you put it there in the first place. You should go back and read up on the fundamentals of integration.

we never learned the fundamentals of integration :)
We are going to learn them today, this is just a problem she gave us and said to try to solve it on our own. (like a heads-up kind of thing)
I just looked up an example and tried to copy it and i really have no idea what c is. (so i guessed :D)

Mentallic
Homework Helper
Oh ok, in that case, yes the c is just a constant so whenever you take the derivative of a constant it is always 0.

Ok so are you satisfied? Did you get from (x-1)8+(x-1)7 => x(x-1)7 by some process or did you just assume it should be equal?

i actually assumed it should be equal :)
I'm really bad at simplifying, but i thought it should equal that.

Mentallic
Homework Helper
Well since you have two factors, (x-1)8 and (x-1)7 and you need to get to 1 factor, then you should factorize! Letting (x-1)7=u will make things a lot more easy to spot.

oh....

so then it would be u[x-1+1]?
then the -1 and 1 cancel out, and you get u[x]

Mentallic
Homework Helper
Yep :tongue:

great!! Thank you so much :biggrin:

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Why were you "guessing" that C was a constant? You were the one who put it in there weren't you? What did you think it was when you added it to the solution?

i wasn't sure. Like i said, i had never done integrals before so i just looked at another problem and tried to copy the steps that it took to solve. Constant made the most sense so that's what i guessed it was.