1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-Derivative of e^x/2

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on an integration by parts problem, and in order to work it I need to figure out the anti-derivative of ex/2. We've covered basic integration concepts, the definite/indefinite integral, u-sub, and integration by parts. Now, examining the derivative, I expect the anti-derivative to be 2ex/2, but I can't show my work on how I get here. I tried u-sub and I just get the same function.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jan 29, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the OP is not dealing with a Gaussian function.

5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh boy, misread. And answered too quickly - again. Sorry.

Dear Rye,

if you differentiate ##e^{x\over 2}## you get ## {1\over 2}e^{x\over 2}## so the ##2e^{x\over 2}## you found is indeed a primitive of ##e^{x\over 2}##.

You state you get the same function. Should n't be the case. If ##e^y## is a primitive of ##e^y## then the substitution ## y = {x\over 2}## and the chain rule give $$ {d \; e^y \over dx} = {d\; e^y \over dy} {dy\over dx} = {d \; e^y \over dy} \; {1\over 2} = {1\over 2} \; e^y \;$$

(but maybe I have no idea what u-subbing is ...)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. Jan 29, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is your problem? You say you used u-substitution and got the same function, which is fine, since your answer is correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted