Finding the Constant in an Anti-Derivative Function

• Thread starter NDiggity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the function f(x) is equal to 1/4x^4 + C, where C is the constant that needs to be determined. To find the value of C, the slope of the tangent line must be equal to the derivative of f(x), which is x^3. By setting x^3 equal to -1, the x-coordinate at which the line is tangent to the graph of f can be found. This is then used to find the y-coordinate, which is 1. Therefore, the point at which the line is tangent to f is (-1,1). To determine the value of C, the equation 1= (1/4) (-1)^4+ C is used, as
NDiggity
Here is the question:

Find a function f which satisfies both of the following properties:
f ' (x) = x^3
The line x + y = 0 is tangent to the graph of f.

I figured out that f(x) is 1/4x^4 + C. Now I don't know what to do. I know I need to figure out C but I'm stuck. I isolated x+y=0 for y to get y= -x, and the derivative of that is -1, so the slope of the tangent line is -1. So I then figured out what x value causes x^3 to also be -1, and it turns out to be -1. This is the x-coordinate at which the line is tangent to. So the y coordinate would be -1 + y=0. So y is 1. The point at which the line is tangent to f is (-1,1). If everything up to this point is correct, how do I find C?

Physics news on Phys.org
What equation does/should the general solution satisfy at (-1,1)?

Do I go 1=1/4(-1)^4 + C and solve for C?

Yes. The important thing is understanding why you can do that. In order that the graph of your function be tangent to x+ y= 0 at x= -1, the graph has to pass through (-1,1). That is true only if 1= (1/4) (-1)^4+ C.

Thank you so much for explaining that to me, now I can go write my Math 110 final...yay?

1. What is an anti-derivative?

An anti-derivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the reverse process of finding the original function given its derivative. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to calculate the area under a curve.

2. How is an anti-derivative different from a derivative?

A derivative represents the rate of change of a function at a given point, while an anti-derivative represents the original function. In other words, a derivative tells us how the function is changing, while an anti-derivative tells us what the function is.

3. What are the basic rules for finding an anti-derivative?

The basic rules for finding an anti-derivative include the power rule, constant multiple rule, sum and difference rule, and substitution rule. These rules help us to find the anti-derivative of polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. How do we use anti-derivatives in real-life applications?

Anti-derivatives are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate the total change or accumulated amount of a quantity over a given interval. For example, they can be used to calculate the displacement of an object, the work done by a force, or the profit generated by a company.

5. Can all functions have an anti-derivative?

No, not all functions have an anti-derivative. Functions that have an anti-derivative are called integrable, while functions that do not have an anti-derivative are called non-integrable. Non-integrable functions include functions with discontinuities, such as the absolute value function, and functions with non-elementary components, such as e^(x^2).