1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti Derivative Question

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    Here is the question:

Find a function f which satisfies both of the following properties:
    f ' (x) = x^3
    The line x + y = 0 is tangent to the graph of f.

I figured out that f(x) is 1/4x^4 + C. Now I don't know what to do. I know I need to figure out C but i'm stuck. I isolated x+y=0 for y to get y= -x, and the derivative of that is -1, so the slope of the tangent line is -1. So I then figured out what x value causes x^3 to also be -1, and it turns out to be -1. This is the x-coordinate at which the line is tangent to. So the y coordinate would be -1 + y=0. So y is 1. The point at which the line is tangent to f is (-1,1). If everything up to this point is correct, how do I find C?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What equation does/should the general solution satisfy at (-1,1)?
  4. Dec 7, 2007 #3
    Do I go 1=1/4(-1)^4 + C and solve for C?
  5. Dec 8, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. The important thing is understanding why you can do that. In order that the graph of your function be tangent to x+ y= 0 at x= -1, the graph has to pass through (-1,1). That is true only if 1= (1/4) (-1)^4+ C.
  6. Dec 8, 2007 #5
    Thank you so much for explaining that to me, now I can go write my Math 110 final....yay?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?