The Universe's Unexplained Balance

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, there is no clear answer as to what anti-gravity is. It could be gravity acting upon anti-matter, or some other unidentified force.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think it is true to say that every thing in the universe must ballance in some way, apart from matter over comming anti matter, by some un explained process, so if the universe can be explained by some metric, is there an anti metric ?

Physics news on Phys.org
me too

I'm not sure, but I'm new. I was wondering about the speed of light, and how traveling faster would mean catching up to and over taking old light. If I travel faster than light sending me back in time, which gives me negative time, then doesn't that mess up Speed = Distance/Time? I would have a positive speed, a positive distance and a negative time. Or maybe I have a negative distance, which is opposite to my senses which tell me that any distance traveled is positive. Is this anti-distance? And wouldn't a negative distance be indicative of a negative goemetry? I sure would like to have someone to talk with about this, and pass these thoughts on to someone who can do something with them.

louis arthur

anti

since the metric describes gravity, I would think what you are looking for is anti-gravity rather than anti-distances (which I admittedly can't make any sense of).

i read that gravity and acceleration are interchangeable, so that must mean that anitgravity and antiacceleration are interchangeable. if i could antiaccelerate, what kind of motion would i travel in?

I hope you would fall up.

See

http://www.th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hossi/Physics/anti-gravity.html

hossi said:
I hope you would fall up.

See

http://www.th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hossi/Physics/anti-gravity.html

Hossi, would this mean that anti matter collects in null gravitating areas (Lagrange points) of
space ?

If there is anti-gravitating matter, why don't we see it?

First, recall that both types of matter repel. Thus, if there is anti-gravitating matter, it would not stay here. It would move away as far as possible. Then the question reduces to why we do not produce anti-gravitating matter in accelerators or in ultra-high energetic cosmic rays.

Last edited:
the question is what do you equate as anti gravity?
for example we can look at a macroscopic body which two force are acting upon him from different direction (both horizontal) one is gravity and the other let's say coulomb force of electricity given by similar equations. then you can say that that electricity is the anti force to gravity.

any way, this is semantics.

another good inquiry is:
we have 4 known forces: the weak force, strong force, electromagentism, gravity and also the corresponding forces of weak-electromagenitsm,strong-electro.
but as far as i know they don't have a geometrical manifestation as does gravity have in gr. parhaps if there's antigravity force or opposite force to gravity we should look at gravity acting upon anti matter (although besides some properties it's almost identical to matter), but as far as i know there isn't any macroscopic anti matter so it's quite hard to check it.

The expansion of spacetime, aka the cosomological constant, might be thought of as anti-gravity. There are solutions of Einstein's field equations which employ spacetime expansion to generate a constant acceleration (modifications of Alcubierre's "spacewarp"). These violate a basic desideratum called the weak energy condition and are generally considered unphysical.

selfadjoint, gravity is supposed to be a force acting upon masses or bodies (they are the same) so as is see it, anti gravity or repulsive force to gravity should act on masses as well.
is gravity a force which is a property of space or of the (masses) bodies which occupy the space?

if it's a property of mass, then as i reackon if the expansion of the universe is because of matter then doesn't it imply that gravity acts both way, also repulsive and attractive, it's quite contradictory is it not?

parhaps if there's antigravity force or opposite force to gravity we should look at gravity acting upon anti matter (although besides some properties it's almost identical to matter), but as far as i know there isn't any macroscopic anti matter so it's quite hard to check it.

There are several proposals to actually measure the grav. force on anti-matter, anti-matter meaning anti wrt the gauge charge.

See e.g.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/0602041
Testing existence of antigravity
Authors: Dragan Slavkov Hajdukovic

However, I don't think that e.g. a positron will behave differently concerning the graviational interaction than an electron does. I think, this would probably also spoil up some loop-corrections or so (sorry, don't have a proper reference.) In contrast to this what I proposed is a second sector of the standard model, which is identical to the one we already have, except for its graviational interaction. Its kind of confusing with the terminology, but then one indeed has anti-graviating-anti-matter and anti-matter.

These violate a basic desideratum called the weak energy condition and are generally considered unphysical.

Thanks so much! :rofl: It's so unphysical it could solve some singularity problems.

S.

I am sure i have read about a particle that switches from being matter to
antimatter, at a frequency of fempto seconds, one part was a strange quark
i think, cuss my memory, but if the oscillations of this particle had a very
slight variable offset one way or the other, could it not explain accelerated
expantion ?

wolram said:
Hossi, would this mean that anti matter collects in null gravitating areas (Lagrange points) of
space ?

No. Why would it? Its not as complicated as you think. Take electromagnetism (spin 1 field) and replace 'unlike charges attract, like charges repel' with 'like charges attract, unlike charges repel'. The rest are details :wink:

B.

hossi said:
No. Why would it? Its not as complicated as you think. Take electromagnetism (spin 1 field) and replace 'unlike charges attract, like charges repel' with 'like charges attract, unlike charges repel'. The rest are details :wink:

B.

Dohh, i am sure my brain is made of week old porridge.

wolram said:
Dohh, i am sure my brain is made of week old porridge.

Thats how I feel every morning :rofl:

What is "The Universe's Unexplained Balance"?

"The Universe's Unexplained Balance" refers to the idea that there is a delicate equilibrium and harmony within the universe that allows for the existence and functioning of all its components.

What evidence supports the concept of "The Universe's Unexplained Balance"?

There are several pieces of evidence that support this concept, including the fact that the laws of physics and nature seem to be finely tuned to allow for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. Additionally, the existence of complex life on Earth suggests that the conditions necessary for life are perfectly balanced.

How does "The Universe's Unexplained Balance" relate to the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory suggests that the universe began with a massive explosion, and since then, it has been expanding and evolving. The idea of "The Universe's Unexplained Balance" suggests that this expansion and evolution have been carefully balanced to create and sustain life.

Are there any theories that attempt to explain "The Universe's Unexplained Balance"?

There are various scientific theories that attempt to explain this concept, such as the Anthropic Principle, which suggests that the universe is the way it is because it allows for the existence of conscious observers. The Multiverse Theory also proposes that there may be multiple universes with different physical laws, and our universe happens to have the perfect balance for life to exist.

Is "The Universe's Unexplained Balance" a proven concept?

While there is evidence to support the idea of "The Universe's Unexplained Balance," it is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven definitively. It is an ongoing topic of scientific research and debate, and our understanding of the universe's balance continues to evolve as we learn more about it.