Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti- Gravitational Device

1. Feb 6, 2005 #1
    i was wondering if using the principle of lightening and how it works, could be harnessed to make a anti-gravitational device using strong electromagnets and a enormous amount of power. but in theory could it work?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2005 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

Would you elaborate on what is meant by "the principle of lightening"? I have not heard of that.

4. Feb 6, 2005 #3
    Its gonna take a bit more then lightning in any form for anti gravity.

The electro-magnetic force just dosent effect gravity very much.

5. Feb 7, 2005 #4
    principle of lightening

i was refurring to the way lightening works how it pulls the positive electrons out of the earths crust and causes the clouds negative electrons to create a spark or lightening

6. Feb 8, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Lifting something with a magnet, whether electro-magnet or not, is not "anti-gravity".

7. Feb 8, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup, and nor is hoisting a weight with a rope.

8. Feb 8, 2005 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Not "lightning".

"lightening"!

"That's so crazy it just might work!"

9. Feb 8, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Basically, the only anti-gravitation device I'll accept of that name, is a device which reduces the value of big G. I haven't seen any such devices yet.

10. Feb 11, 2005 #9

Janitor

Science Advisor

Ah, LIGHTNING. The way you spelled it, I pictured a spiritual master and his students sitting on cushions and bouncing up and down, trying to levitate. :rofl:

11. Feb 11, 2005 #10

krab

Science Advisor

You have to say what you mean by "anti-gravitational device". If you simply mean something that lifts massive things against gravity and uses a possibly enormous amount of power, then a simple elevator already qualifies.

12. Feb 11, 2005 #11

ohwilleke

Gold Member

The short answer is no.

13. Feb 12, 2005 #12
    Is your definition of anti-gravity something that cuts out or in someway distorts the gravitional field enough to limit gravity's effects, OR is it mearly using a force against gravity to lift something up. In the latter case you could consider yourself an anti gravity device, since you can pick things up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?