Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti Gravity Car

1. Nov 17, 2006 #1
    Tomorrow, I am going to a physics competition. Each going is going to be given some supplies (I don't know what yet) and we are going to have to make like an anti gravity car. Like a car that moves by itself up an inclined plane.

Where can I find some background information or past models on a project like this? Like I want to go in there with good knowledge and be able to come up with the best model.

I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything good.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2006 #2

-Actually- moves up an incline, without any force being applied?
  4. Nov 17, 2006 #3
    Will you have to use a pulley or springs or something like a counterweight, etc?
  5. Nov 17, 2006 #4
    They will supply us with bunch of materials. I am guessing the materials will include stuff like rubber bands...
  6. Nov 18, 2006 #5

Gold Member

Well, anti-gravity is out of the question. Such is not possible with current knowledge and/or technology. Before you mentioned the inclined plane, I was thinking towards a ground-effect device (hovercraft or WIG). You could still climb an inclined plane with either, but the lateral stability would be a serious problem to overcome. No matter how much forward thrust you input, the tendency will be for it to turn turtle and scoot off downhill. Can you provide some more detail (preferably the entire text of the problem)? With what you've posted, there's a lot of room for interpretation... which to me means a lot of room for cheating. Any Smokey Yunich fans in the crowd will know what I mean.
    Meanwhile, you might, if the rules allow it, build a hovercraft that also incorporates a wind-up drum to follow a preset string up the slope.

edit: WAKE UP DAMMIT... I'M TALKING TO YOU! :tongue:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  7. Nov 18, 2006 #6
  8. Nov 18, 2006 #7

Gold Member

Many a mickle macks a muckle? (Sorry; old saying of my mother's.)
    In this case, many are morons. Ban them from your life, lest they pollute your intellect.
  9. Nov 18, 2006 #8
    Toys which I mentionet dont use anti gravity at all but they could be commonly and nonscientificaly refered as "anti gravitional" only because they can float over the ground.

10. Nov 18, 2006 #9

Gold Member

Thanks for highlighting those phrases, Murky. The 'like' term slipped by because I took it as a youngster colloquialism. That indeed leaves even more room for interpretation. It even brings to mind the possibility that the thing can be on wheels, as long as it can propel itself up hill.
  11. Nov 18, 2006 #10

It would be a lot more helpful to us if you could provide materials. I assume you have more than rubber bands?
  12. Mar 7, 2010 #11
    Have you looked into:-

trap microwave energy in a super-conductive metal container that is charged at the + of the power

inside the metal container you need a semiconductive material

at the the part you want to be the bottom you place a conductive metal on the inside and outside of the semi-conductor remembering to separate the conductor and the super conductor

turn on the power and the object should lift

the bottom should give a purple glow due to the scattering of electrons
  13. Mar 7, 2010 #12
    I would like to research into another area.
    we all know how a transistor works.

what i want to do is look at this function from another angle

I want to look at materials and their polarity as regards to electrolosis

also the tolerance to extreme cold or hot

with this i want to make:-

+ -150
    0 +150

then i make a capacitor between the 0 and a metal plate charged with a complex pattern of ions

between these in theory a large charge of electric should be formed

I am sure this will work if done correctly

let me know if it doesn't
  14. Mar 7, 2010 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?