Exploring the Role of Anti-Idiotype Antibodies in Immune Responses

• Thread starter Candy Ton
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is currently working on an undergraduate thesis focusing on different types of antibodies, specifically anti-idiotype antibodies. They are seeking sources for their research and have been using PubMed as a resource. Other members of the forum have offered helpful tips and suggestions for finding more up-to-date information. The speaker expresses gratitude for the assistance and plans to continue their research on other types of antibodies.
Candy Ton
Hi everyone! I'm currently busy writing my thesis. I haven't wrote a word by now, but still in the phase of collectiing data. I am going to write something about different types of antibody. Now, I am studing anti-idiotype antibody.

Any sources about it will be appreciated except this and this, cause I've learned.:wink:

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, what level of thesis is this? Undergrad, masters, phd? Are you expected to do a research project for this thesis or is it a literature review? Another important question; what do you currently understand about anti-idiotype antibodies? The answers to these will help us help you.

In terms of finding out more you're on the right track with pubmed. What other search terms have you used? As a good tip in your first link to the Pan et al paper you'll see a box on the lower right titled "Cited by ten PubMed Central articles". If you click "see all" you can get every paper that has cited Pan. Some of this will probably be on the same topic and be more recent, which you really should be looking for, twenty year old papers in biological sciences are almost always obsolete. It's fine to cite them for historical relevance but the more up-to-date the better.

"see all"
Ryan_m_b said:
Welcome to the forums, what level of thesis is this? Undergrad, masters, phd? Are you expected to do a research project for this thesis or is it a literature review? Another important question; what do you currently understand about anti-idiotype antibodies? The answers to these will help us help you.

In terms of finding out more you're on the right track with pubmed. What other search terms have you used? As a good tip in your first link to the Pan et al paper you'll see a box on the lower right titled "Cited by ten PubMed Central articles". If you click "see all" you can get every paper that has cited Pan. Some of this will probably be on the same topic and be more recent, which you really should be looking for, twenty year old papers in biological sciences are almost always obsolete. It's fine to cite them for historical relevance but the more up-to-date the better.
Thanks a lot! Actually it is a undergraduate thesis and kind of literature review. The "see all" helped a lot, and I'm sure the part for anti-idiotype antibodies will soon be knocked out. I will focus on the review of other kinds of antibodies after that. Again, thanks for all your help!

Likes sysprog

What is an anti-idiotype antibody?

An anti-idiotype antibody is an antibody that is able to recognize and bind to the unique variable region of another antibody. It is essentially an antibody that targets another antibody.

How are anti-idiotype antibodies produced?

Anti-idiotype antibodies can be produced through immunization techniques, where an animal is injected with the desired antibody and its immune system produces an anti-idiotype response. They can also be produced through recombinant DNA technology.

What is the function of anti-idiotype antibodies?

The function of anti-idiotype antibodies can vary depending on the context. In some cases, they may serve as a surrogate for the original antigen, allowing for the detection and quantification of the antibody of interest. They can also be used as therapeutic agents, targeting disease-causing antibodies and promoting their clearance from the body.

What are the advantages of using anti-idiotype antibodies in research?

Anti-idiotype antibodies offer several advantages in research, including their high specificity and ability to target specific antibodies of interest. They also have a high affinity for their target, making them useful in various applications such as diagnostics and therapeutics. Additionally, they can be easily produced and have low immunogenicity.

Are there any limitations or challenges associated with anti-idiotype antibodies?

One potential limitation of anti-idiotype antibodies is their specificity, as they may only recognize a particular antibody and not others with similar structures. Additionally, they may be more difficult and expensive to produce compared to traditional antibodies. Some challenges in using anti-idiotype antibodies include the potential for cross-reactivity and the need for careful characterization and validation in research and clinical settings.