Can an Anti-Matter Blade Cut Through Anything?

In summary, the idea is that an anti-particle generator would create a "spray" of antimatter towards a specific direction. Said antimatter would interact and "puff out of existence" with the matter they touch causing the cutting necessary.
AlkamlBan
I recently got this weird idea of a blade which would work not with matter but with anti-matter. The idea is that an anti-particle (anti-proton, anti-neutron, anti-electron) generator would create a "spray" of antimatter towards a specific direction. Said antimatter would interact and "puff out of existence" with the matter they touch causing the cutting necessary. One question kept going around in my head though: Is creating these sub-atomic particles and "spraying" them enough or do they need to become "anti-atoms" like anti-helium, anti-oxygen etc to interact with the matter they come in contact with? If that is not necessary then can this "blade" "cut" through anything?

PS: This is mostly for a fantasy setting so just suppose that the anti-matter generator works and creates amounts big enought that a "blade" (aka spray that can be sustained in a conical shape in front of a handle) can be created.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any anti-protons and anti-electrons will do the job for you.

The bigger problem is that the "puff" you describe is going to be in the form of extremely energetic radiation - after all, you are converting mass direcly into energy, a la E=mc2.

And there won;t be a complete conversion, since not all antiparticles will find a counterpart immediately, meaning the annihilation zone will spread. In all directions. Including back toward the wielder.

Likes Lren Zvsm
DaveC426913 said:
Any anti-protons and anti-electrons will do the job for you.

The bigger problem is that the "puff" you describe is going to be in the form of extremely energetic radiation - after all, you are converting mass direcly into energy, a la E=mc2.

And there won;t be a complete conversion, since not all antiparticles will find a counterpart immediately, meaning the annihilation zone will spread. In all directions. Including back toward the wielder.
Fair enough. But wouldn't the air also interact with them? Just to mention something I forgot: I consider the generator to produce an amount of antimatter which upon being shot forward from the handle (maybe with something like a miniature magnetic field or whatever) would cause the amount of anti-matter produced and "consumed" to reach an equal point. Imagine it like the flame comming out the back side of a rocket. As you move the handle around the antimatter that was excreted doesn't move along with you but new one takes its place.

As for the radiation would something like a suit made of lead do the job or would something more drastic be required? (again since it is a fantasy setting little things can be tweaked but I like to have a bit of realistic coolness in it all)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Is this for a story you are writing or based in an existing SciFi universe?
No and I have never seen something of the sort (then again I am not the biggest fan of Sci-Fi). I had this idea for a video-game.

AlkamlBan said:
No and I have never seen something of the sort (then again I am not the biggest fan of Sci-Fi). I had this idea for a video-game.
That you are creating? Just to be clear because this forum has guidelines and is not meant to be for random speculation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
That you are creating? Just to be clear because this forum has guidelines and is not meant to be for random speculation.
Currently: No. But then again I don't even have a story/universe set up. I might make it happen in the future though if I can get the rest working in a solid way but since this was the first thing that came to mind I figured I would get this over with before I forget about it.

Edit #1: Yes, I know this is for EXISTING fiction only but I couldn't find the Science Fiction Writing forum so...here is the post.

Edit #2: As for the "Currently: No" part its because I cant. I am on my way to university and as a result don't have the time to make said game. Only thing I can do is create universe/chars etc and then when I finish my Computer Games Programming course make said game (along with others I have thought up). So I am not making it now but I am designing it now if that makes sense.

Last edited:
SciFi or video game. Something like antimatter... I guess you get a little leeway, since it will be awhile before we actually generate enough to really test out your theory. I am thinking it will be more like a flame thrower or rocket blast, as described above. The particles will react with air molecules as they shoot out of the "gun". Really you don't need a whole lot of particles to do some damage. In some of Larry Niven's stories, there was some kind of disruptor weapon, which created like a positive charge at one end of the cut, and negative at the other.
The Internet is so cool. I can just search and find information about it.
See this http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Canyon and this http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Wunderland_Treatymaker
If you like Science Fiction novels, I would recommend him. There are a few books, which are collections of short stories, then there is Ringworld novel.

scottdave said:
SciFi or video game. Something like antimatter... I guess you get a little leeway, since it will be awhile before we actually generate enough to really test out your theory. I am thinking it will be more like a flame thrower or rocket blast, as described above. The particles will react with air molecules as they shoot out of the "gun". Really you don't need a whole lot of particles to do some damage. In some of Larry Niven's stories, there was some kind of disruptor weapon, which created like a positive charge at one end of the cut, and negative at the other.
The Internet is so cool. I can just search and find information about it.
See this http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Canyon and this http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Wunderland_Treatymaker
If you like Science Fiction novels, I would recommend him. There are a few books, which are collections of short stories, then there is Ringworld novel.
Yes there are a lot of cool weapons out there. Thing is since this can be explained by physics I wanted to see if it would work or not by asking people who knew about such stuff, thus why I came to PF. Of course I do get some leeway but since I might have a chance of making it more Science and less Fiction I thought I would take it. Sci-Fi is cool but personally if you can make something this cool with real science its 1.000.000 times cooler.

Anti-hydrogen, essentially just an anti-proton, we can produce that, (though is difficult and expensive).
We don't know if anti-elements of anything more than hydrogen exist.
A blade made of out of hydrogen seems like an unlikely weapon.

Last edited:
Check out a plasma cutter before you decide on something anti matter. Even an oxy/acetylene torch can rip through steel quickly. They are not too expensive. Make sure someone competent is around while you play with it.

1. What is an anti-matter blade?

An anti-matter blade is a hypothetical weapon made of anti-matter, which is the opposite of matter. It is composed of anti-particles that have the same mass as their matter counterparts, but with opposite charge and spin. When matter and anti-matter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing a tremendous amount of energy.

2. Is it possible to create an anti-matter blade?

Currently, we do not have the technology to create a stable anti-matter blade. The production and containment of anti-matter is extremely challenging, and the amount needed to create a usable blade is currently beyond our capabilities. However, there are ongoing research and experiments to better understand anti-matter and its properties, which may eventually lead to the creation of an anti-matter blade.

3. How powerful would an anti-matter blade be?

An anti-matter blade would be incredibly powerful, as the annihilation of matter and anti-matter would release an enormous amount of energy. The exact amount of energy released would depend on the mass of the anti-matter blade and the amount of matter it comes into contact with. It could potentially have the destructive force of a nuclear bomb.

4. What are the potential uses of an anti-matter blade?

Aside from being a powerful weapon, an anti-matter blade could also have various industrial and medical applications. It could be used in controlled environments to produce energy, for medical imaging and treatments, and in propulsion systems for spacecraft. However, these uses are still purely theoretical at this point.

5. Are there any potential dangers or risks associated with an anti-matter blade?

Yes, there are potential dangers and risks associated with an anti-matter blade. The production and containment of anti-matter are highly complex and require advanced technology and safety measures. If not properly controlled, an anti-matter blade could cause massive destruction and harm to living beings. Additionally, the cost of creating and maintaining an anti-matter blade would be extremely high, making it a potentially impractical and risky endeavor.