Anti Parallel Currents and Magnetic Field

In summary, We have two long parallel wires that are 4.5 cm apart and carry equal antiparallel currents of 1 Amperes. At point P, which is 2 cm away from the wires, the magnetic field intensity can be found using the equation B=(2kId)/(x^2), where k=(Mo/4pi), I=1 A, and x=3 cm. The incorrect answer may be due to an incorrect value for x.
GingerBread27
Two long parallel wires are a distance of d = 4.5 cm apart and carry equal antiparallel currents of 1 Amperes. Find the magnetic field intensity (in T) at the point P which is equidistant from the wires. (R = 2 cm).

Now I really thought I had this. I thought the magnetic field at P would be the superposition of the vectors of the magnetic fields from each of the two wires. After working with the equations I figured out the net magnetic field was in the positive x directions with magnitude B=(2kId)/(x^2), where k=(Mo/4pi), I=1 A, d=4.5cm, and x=2cm. I get the wrong answer. Why?

Attachments

• prob06.gif
    prob06.gif
    499 bytes · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
check the value of x.

x = 3 cm.

[tex]x=\sqrt(R^2 + (d/2)^2)[/tex]

It is important to note that in this scenario, the two wires are carrying equal but antiparallel currents. This means that the direction of the magnetic field created by one wire will be in the opposite direction of the magnetic field created by the other wire. Therefore, when calculating the net magnetic field at point P, the two vectors should be subtracted, not added. This results in a net magnetic field of zero at point P.

To understand this concept better, imagine the wires as two arrows pointing in opposite directions. When you add them together, they cancel each other out and you end up with no net direction. This is the same principle with antiparallel currents and magnetic fields.

Another way to look at it is through the right-hand rule. If you use your right hand to point your fingers in the direction of the current in one wire, and then curl your fingers towards the direction of the current in the other wire, your thumb will point in the opposite direction, indicating the net magnetic field at point P is zero.

In conclusion, when dealing with antiparallel currents and magnetic fields, it is important to remember to subtract the two vectors instead of adding them together. This will result in the correct calculation of the net magnetic field at any given point.

1. What are anti-parallel currents?

Anti-parallel currents refer to two currents flowing in opposite directions, but within close proximity to each other. This results in a magnetic field that opposes the direction of both currents.

2. How do anti-parallel currents affect the magnetic field?

Anti-parallel currents create a magnetic field that is stronger than that of a single current. This is due to the fact that the magnetic fields from both currents combine and reinforce each other.

3. Can anti-parallel currents cancel each other out?

Yes, in certain situations, anti-parallel currents can cancel each other out. This occurs when the currents are equal in strength and flowing in opposite directions, resulting in a net magnetic field of zero.

4. What is the relationship between anti-parallel currents and magnetic fields?

The relationship between anti-parallel currents and magnetic fields is that the direction of the magnetic field is always perpendicular to the direction of the currents. This is known as the right-hand rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of anti-parallel currents and magnetic fields?

Anti-parallel currents and magnetic fields are utilized in a variety of technologies, such as electric motors and generators. They are also used in MRI machines to produce images of the human body. Additionally, they play a crucial role in the Earth's magnetic field and its impact on navigation and communication systems.