The Truth About Anti-Perspirants and Cancer Risk

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, anti-persperants can increase the likeliness of cancer, but whether or not they actually do is up for debate.
wasteofo2
Are anti-persperant deoderants bad for you? My mom is of the persuasion that in the act of stopping you from sweating, they end up trapping urea, and whatever other toxins you excrete, in your sweat glands under your arms, and that this buildup could increase the likewlyhood of cancer. However, it seems to me that if whatever toxins need to get expelled can't get expelled from under my arms, that they'd just be transported to some other sweat glands. Anyone care to weigh in on this issue?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sour sweat smell is, I believe, primarily the farts and belches of the bacterial population living in your armpit after they've had a good meal.
Fresh sweat doesn't smell, it's the bacteria who make it so..

There was some research on the news saying that deodorants are increasing the likelihood of cancer.

What kinds of cancers, gary? I've never heard of armpit cancer...

- Warren

to be honest I can't really remember, but it was definitely in the New Scientist and newspapers.

breast cancer

Well from studying cancer I would think that it would lead to lymphoma since there are lymphnodes right under your armpits. But another interesting fact...I have heard that the only active ingredient in anit-persperiants can increase your chance of alzheimers disease. Are my sources correct?

TheSkyKing said:
Well from studying cancer I would think that it would lead to lymphoma since there are lymphnodes right under your armpits. But another interesting fact...I have heard that the only active ingredient in anit-persperiants can increase your chance of alzheimers disease. Are my sources correct?
most anti-perspirants contain aluminum, which some people say is a cause of Alzheimer's. caused a bit of a stir several years ago with people saying you shouldn't use aluminum cookware too. I'm not sure if the aluminum/Alzheimer's link is backed up by the research though.

God damnit, everything gives you cancer or alzheimers or leprosy or some crap like that. I heard a report like a year ago that fuking milk gives you osteoperosis.

Y'know...

I think I won't drink alcohol, won't smoke cigarettes, but will take a chance with trace aluminum under my arm.

And I'll ****ing get armpit cancer...
And I'll damned well like it.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between anti-persperents and deodorants?

Anti-persperents and deodorants both help with body odor, but they work in different ways. Anti-persperents contain aluminum salts that block sweat glands, reducing the amount of sweat produced. Deodorants, on the other hand, contain antibacterial agents that kill odor-causing bacteria on the skin.

2. Are anti-persperents safe to use?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that anti-persperents are harmful to human health. The FDA has approved the use of aluminum salts in anti-persperents, and numerous studies have found no link between their use and serious health issues.

3. Can anti-persperents cause breast cancer?

There have been claims linking anti-persperents to breast cancer due to the presence of aluminum salts. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. The American Cancer Society states that there is no convincing evidence that anti-persperents increase the risk of breast cancer.

4. Can anti-persperents cause skin irritation or allergies?

Some people may experience skin irritation or allergies when using anti-persperents. This is usually due to the fragrances or other ingredients in the product, rather than the aluminum salts. If you experience any irritation or allergies, it is best to switch to a fragrance-free or hypoallergenic anti-persperent.

5. Are there any alternatives to using anti-persperents?

There are some natural alternatives to using anti-persperents, such as using baking soda or natural crystal deodorants. However, these may not be as effective as anti-persperents in reducing sweat and body odor. It is best to try different options and see what works best for your body.