Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-persperents, yea or nay?

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    Are anti-persperant deoderants bad for you? My mom is of the persuasion that in the act of stopping you from sweating, they end up trapping urea, and whatever other toxins you excrete, in your sweat glands under your arms, and that this buildup could increase the likewlyhood of cancer. However, it seems to me that if whatever toxins need to get expelled can't get expelled from under my arms, that they'd just be transported to some other sweat glands. Anyone care to weigh in on this issue?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sour sweat smell is, I believe, primarily the farts and belches of the bacterial population living in your armpit after they've had a good meal.
    Fresh sweat doesn't smell, it's the bacteria who make it so..

4. Oct 19, 2004 #3
    There was some research on the news saying that deodorants are increasing the likelihood of cancer.

5. Oct 19, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kinds of cancers, gary? I've never heard of armpit cancer...

- Warren

6. Oct 19, 2004 #5
    to be honest I can't really remember, but it was definitely in the New Scientist and newspapers.

7. Oct 22, 2004 #6
    breast cancer

8. Oct 29, 2004 #7
    Well from studying cancer I would think that it would lead to lymphoma since there are lymphnodes right under your armpits. But another interesting fact...I have heard that the only active ingredient in anit-persperiants can increase your chance of alzheimers disease. Are my sources correct?

9. Oct 29, 2004 #8
    most anti-perspirants contain aluminum, which some people say is a cause of Alzheimer's. caused a bit of a stir several years ago with people saying you shouldn't use aluminum cookware too. I'm not sure if the aluminum/Alzheimer's link is backed up by the research though.

10. Oct 29, 2004 #9
    God damnit, everything gives you cancer or alzheimers or leprosy or some crap like that. I heard a report like a year ago that fuking milk gives you osteoperosis.

Y'know...

I think I won't drink alcohol, won't smoke cigarettes, but will take a chance with trace aluminum under my arm.

And I'll ****ing get armpit cancer...
    And I'll damned well like it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?