Understanding Anti-Positron Chirality: The Confusion Explained

In summary, the conversation is about the chirality of the anti-positron and the electron. There is some confusion about whether the anti-positron is right-chiral or left-chiral, but it is eventually clarified that the positron is right-chiral and the anti-positron is left-chiral. There is also a discussion about a potential conflict between the statements and diagrams, but it is suggested to take the discussion to a different forum.
kimcj
please see the following conversaytion. he is saying in some point that the anti positron is right chiral and the says its left chiral...
whats right
ParoXoN • 4 years agoVery cool post! Thanks for that :)

I'm a little confused though:
You say towards the end:
"The “anti-positron” (does not interact with the W) is called eR (or sometimes eRc or eR-bar), the right-chiral electron."

But I thought the anti-positron was left-chiral?

• noavatar92.png

Flip Tanedo ParoXoN4 years ago
    Ah, good catch ParoXoN. The positron is right-chiral, and the anti-positron is left-chiral. I've corrected the post (and given credit to you for pointing this out).

Tony and jal: thanks! :-)
If the positron was right-chiral, the antipositron would have to be left-chiral. But then the electron mass term would have a left-chiral electron and a left-chiral antipositron, which is not correct.

Do you agree that there is a conflict between the statements or am I misinterpreting it somehow?

cheers,
D

• noavatar92.png

Ken DK4 years ago
    Argh this was so confusing! The "summary" contradicts all the text and diagrams before it! I certainly hope the "summary" part was right, because that's what I'm going to stick in my brain.

• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Link

• noavatar92.png

Flip Tanedo DK4 years ago
    Hi DK, it's entirely possible that I was sloppy with conventions, I'll try to go over it again when I get a chance... but there's a possibility that I won't get the chance in the near future. -F

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure it's a good idea to get involved in third-part discussions in other forums.

What is anti positron chirality?

Anti positron chirality is a concept in particle physics that refers to the handedness or spin orientation of anti-positrons, the antimatter counterpart of positrons. It describes the direction in which the anti-positron's spin is aligned, either clockwise or counterclockwise.

What is the significance of anti positron chirality?

The chirality of anti-positrons plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of antimatter particles. It is also important in the study of weak interactions, which are responsible for radioactive decay and other fundamental processes in the universe.

How is anti positron chirality measured?

Anti positron chirality is measured using a technique called polarimetry, which involves analyzing the polarization of particles in a beam of anti-positrons. This can be done using specialized detectors and equipment, such as polarimeters and magnetic spectrometers.

What is the difference between anti positron chirality and positron chirality?

The main difference between anti positron chirality and positron chirality is that they have opposite spin orientations. While anti positron chirality describes the spin of anti-positrons, positron chirality describes the spin of positrons, which are the positively charged electrons.

What are the applications of anti positron chirality?

Anti positron chirality has various applications in fundamental physics research, including the study of antimatter and the search for new particles and interactions. It also has potential applications in medical imaging, where positron emission tomography (PET) scans use positrons as tracers to detect and map diseases in the body.