Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti_crank fan club

1. Yes, I am

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. What?

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Sep 11, 2004 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not really a poll, but step forward and be counted as being in the anti_crank fan club!

Ahem. Me!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand physics, but people I respect appear to value his opinion.

4. Sep 11, 2004 #3
    A crank almost sucked me into his theory a year or so ago. How far I've come.... NO CRANKS! NO CRANKS! NO CRANKS! NO BUSH! NO CRANKS!

jk :smile: (about the Bush thing)

Paden Roder

5. Sep 11, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just out of curiousity, what is the difference between a crank and a crackpot? While the crackpots are irritating at times, they do have a certain entertainment value. I was amusing myself earlier reading locked threads. Some of the pottery in those threads is so cracked that you might have to just call it shards. But it was still entertaining. But I still voted I'm a fan of no cranks.

6. Sep 11, 2004 #5
    I know a useful crank. He works with us. Absolutely a horrible person to live. But he has maybe 1 out of 50 of his ideas that nobody else saw. So I voted What ?.

7. Sep 11, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Guess there's no room on this poll for the anti-cranks themselves !

8. Sep 11, 2004 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good point there. Though, you can be a fan of yourself if you're an anti-crank, and then can vote.

9. Sep 11, 2004 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

anti_crank is one of many members deserving of praise. I'm as much a fan of him as I am of our many, many other helpful members. :smile:

- Warren

10. Sep 11, 2004 #9
    what what is anti-cranking i'm confused please explain

11. Sep 11, 2004 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I didn't realize there was an actual member here named anti-crank. :redface: Guess I should ask more questions before casting votes next time. :blushing:

12. Sep 11, 2004 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm a big fan. His (?) posts are like random lightning bolts from Zeus on unsuspecting crackpots.

13. Sep 12, 2004 #12

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I say, "Woo-Hoo Anti Crank!"

14. Sep 12, 2004 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I read his first post a while ago, I remember thinking "That's exactly what I wish I could have said." Some of the folks on the TD threads make me so angry and I don't really know why. Why can't I just stay out of that forum? WHy do I keep looking there?

THe answer is that I just can't stand the idea that people feel that they can take a shortcut to understanding the universe and insist that flimsy speculation is just as good as studying your butt off for four years (or more). I wanted despaerately to put them in their place, but I simply didn't have enough facts at my fingertip (not enough time, not enough memory) to skewar them just right.

If you haven't read one of anti_cranks's posts, check the recent one in TD forum.

15. Oct 9, 2004 #14
    He definitely gets my vote

Any guy how agree's with my theories get's my vote......

Thank you for proving I was not insane.........

I am now waiting for anyone to ask to discuss my solutions to the questions put forward by David Gross at String's 2000.

Regards

Terry Giblin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?