Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antibubbles in Beer from Belgium

1. Dec 22, 2003 #1
    Physicists from Belgium have published a theory that explains the formation and movement of antibubbles.

Antibubbles are the exact opposite of regular bubbles: where bubbles are thin surface of fluid in air surrounding a pocket of air, an antibubble is a thin surface of air in fluid surrounding a pocket of fluid. Although first observed and studied almost a century ago, no one until now has been able to determine how they form.

They also observed antibubbles in Flemish Beer, proving that the beer from Belgium is almost, but not quite, the same as dishwater.

Antibubbles in Beer from Belgium

Also, you can learn how to make antibubbles in your kitchen with soapy water

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2003 #2
    Hmmm, I think I need to do a lot of studying on this. Would it be okay if I use German beer?

4. Dec 22, 2003 #3
    i suspect that all beers work this way - but its fun to pick on belgium.

Joe

5. Dec 23, 2003 #4
    Now why would that be?

6. Dec 23, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this the reason Guinness (and other nitro beers) have bubbles that go downwards?

- Warren

7. Dec 23, 2003 #6
    Just for the record, Belgian beer is the best in the world!:wink:

8. Dec 23, 2003 #7
    You mean like "Navigator 10%" ?

9. Dec 23, 2003 #8
    Fosters is the drink for me.

10. Dec 23, 2003 #9
    Can you get Canadian beer in England? cause you can get some English beers here in Canada, but I've no idea how close they are to what is available there...

11. Dec 23, 2003 #10
    Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse for me

12. Dec 23, 2003 #11
    After Oregon of course.

13. Dec 24, 2003 #12
    Belgian beer IS the best in the word. Trust me.

Just ask Michael Jackson (the beer taster, not the pop-star)

14. Dec 24, 2003 #13
    Do they? After a few pints I believe they do

15. Dec 24, 2003 #14
    Navigator 10%???
    Never heard of it. Sure it's Belgian beer?[?]

16. Dec 24, 2003 #15
    This is interesting, I am a infrequent drinker (but do like some Molsen when in Canada), but some of my friends grade their Lagers by the delayed gaseous expulsions the following day?. I have been informed that some lagers/beers have a "heavier than air" following day effect? and can fill the average sized living/bed-room faster than the speed sound? (I take this as you cannot outrun the effects of such an expulsion once consumed!) edit: I have just been informed by a friend that proof of 'Faster-than-sound-effect', is that some odours can be smelt but not heard!

Crude I know, but I was wondering now if anyone has an explination for this, and why some of the "heavy-winds" are more denser and (potent) and if the construct of the bubble's within the Lagers have an inbuilt 'delay-function' whereby they "burst-pop" inside the drinker, instead of in the Glass?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2003
  17. Dec 26, 2003 #16
    From Holland actually, thought it might be "close enough" ??

18. Dec 26, 2003 #17
    Don't get a Belgian started on where Dutch beer comes from...

19. Dec 26, 2003 #18
    hmmmm, im not sure about that one if you name a couple i will do some research into it for you.

20. Dec 27, 2003 #19
    O.K. How's about "Will and Grace", (Or need they be a real life couple?) "George and Gracy" or maybe, (What?) "Fred and Wilma"...so on with that resear(urp!)ch! (you'll end up looking like this !)

21. Dec 27, 2003 #20
    So very very funny! Try naming some canadian beers and i will do some research into it 2nite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?