Antiderivative of arctan and x function (by parts maybe? )

In summary, antiderivative of arctan and x function (by parts... maybe??!) seem to be simple enough problems once you understand the underlying concepts.
cemar.
antiderivative of arctan and x function (by parts... maybe??!)

find antiderivative of 2xarctan(8x)

{ = antiderivative s thing.

I did it by parts at first and got

Code:
x^2arctan(8x) - 8 * { (x^2)/(1+64x^2)

To get the antiderivative of the second part i did it by parts again and that ended up bringing me back to the same equation that i first derived.
Im pretty lost here so any help would be really appreciated!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming I'm understanding your work correctly:

Original integral = Blah minus Original Integral.

Correct?

If so, just isolate the original integral by adding it to both sides and divide by two. Simple algebra hidden in calculus. ;)

Edit: Don't forget to throw a + C in there too, since it is an indefinite integral.

Edit Numero Two: I just went through the problem, and I had initially thought it was harder than it is. Just make u = 1+64x^2 in the second integral and you should have no problem.

Last edited:
You're right that you need to use integration by parts and you're going about it correctly as far as I can tell. You just need to take the integral of your v*du and add your constant.

alright so gave er a shot (or a hundred).
Heres where I am at :

After first integration by parts:
x^2arctan(8x) - 8 * { (x^2)/(1+64x^2)

Now only the second part integration by parts:
-8 * { (x^2)/(1+64x^2)
dv = 1 / (64x^2+1) u = x^2
v = arctan(8x)/8 du= 2x

-8 * [ x^2*arctan(8x)/8 - { 2x*arctan(8x)/8 ]
= -x^2*arctan(8x) + { 2x*arctan(8x)

Note: To find the solution add back in the x^2arctan(8x) of the equation in the code box of my first post (took it out just to find the antiverivative of second half).

this yields:
x^2arctan(8x) - x^2*arctan(8x) + { 2x*arctan(8x)
= { 2x*arctan(8x)
which is the original problem.

Sorry for being such a hassell! Thanks for your help i really appreciate it!

When your integral becomes

[tex]

- \int \frac{8x^2}{64x^2 +1}dx

[/tex]

you should be able to simplify that without using integration by parts again, any ideas?

Unfortunately, in this case, Cemar, that results in 0 = 0, which does not help you much. Like I edited above, just use the LIPET rule for u substitutions (logarithms, inverse trig, polynomials, exponentials, trig--in that order) to decide on a u value and do a simple integration.

I came back and looked at this after finishing my meal (I had been multitasking earlier), and I noticed that I made a mistake in my work before. :P

Like RyanSchw was saying, just evaluate that integral (I personally used partial fractions, though I'm sure there may be other methods) and you should be good to go!

Thanks! you guys are awesome!
=)

1. What is the antiderivative of arctan(x)?

The antiderivative of arctan(x) is equal to x*arctan(x) - ln(1+x^2) + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of arctan(x) using integration by parts?

To find the antiderivative of arctan(x) using integration by parts, you can use the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. Let u = arctan(x) and dv = dx. Then, du = 1/(1+x^2) and v = x. Substituting these values into the formula, we get: ∫arctan(x) dx = x*arctan(x) - ∫(x/(1+x^2)) dx. This can be further simplified using substitution or integration by parts again.

3. Can the antiderivative of arctan(x) be written in a simpler form?

Yes, the antiderivative of arctan(x) can be written in different forms depending on the context. For example, it can be written as ln(cos(arctan(x))) + C or 1/2*ln((1+x)/(1-x)) + C. However, the most commonly used form is x*arctan(x) - ln(1+x^2) + C.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the antiderivative of arctan(x)?

Yes, when finding the antiderivative of arctan(x), we need to be careful about the domain of the function. Since the derivative of arctan(x) is 1/(1+x^2), we know that arctan(x) is only defined for values of x between -1 and 1. Therefore, the antiderivative of arctan(x) is only valid for this domain.

5. How is the antiderivative of arctan(x) related to the integral of arctan(x)?

The antiderivative of arctan(x) is the reverse process of finding the integral of arctan(x). This means that the antiderivative and the integral are inverse operations, and they cancel each other out. In other words, if we take the antiderivative of arctan(x), we get the original function back, and if we take the integral of arctan(x), we get the antiderivative back.