1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Antiderivative of cosh(x^2)

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just trying to figure out the anti-derivative of cosh(x^2).

2. Relevant equations
    I knowthe antiderivative cannot be expressed as an elementary function but I am pretty clueless of getting the antiderivative though!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am baffled by this one :(. Any help and pointers would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2
    Sorry but isn't the chain rule for differentiating, not antidifferentiating?

4. May 21, 2010 #3
    I don't think there is an elementary antiderivative for cosh(x2). What's this for?

EDIT: I know there isn't an elementary antiderivative because it would involve integrating ex2, which doesn't have a simple antiderivative.

5. May 21, 2010 #4
    i am trying to solve a double integral question but I can't figure out how to anti-differentiate cosh(x^2).

it's quite frustrating!

6. May 21, 2010 #5
    Hmm. Were there prior steps to this problem where you could've made a mistake, giving you the wrong integral to deal with at this point?

7. May 21, 2010 #6
    Good question, dont think I've done anything wrong to that point.

Basically I am trying to evaluate the following double integral, by changing the order of integration first.

cosh(x^2).dx.dy for 3y < or equal to: x < or equal to 3
    and 0 < or equal to: y < or equal to 1

I changed the order of integration to get:

cosh(x^2).dy.dx for x/3 < or equal to: y < or equal to 1
    and 0 < or equal to: x < or equal to 3

Then:
    [math]= \int_0^1 (1- x/3)cosh(x^2)dx= \int_{x=0}^1 cosh(x^2)dx- \frac{1}{3}\int_0^1 xcosh(x^2)dx[/math]

From here I cant figure out how to differentiate cosh(x^2). I hope I made a mistake and there is an easier way!

8. May 21, 2010 #7
    [tex]= \int_0^1 (1- x/3)cosh(x^2)dx= \int_{x=0}^1 cosh(x^2)dx- \frac{1}{3}\int_0^1 xcosh(x^2)dx[/tex]

I can't see a problem in that line of math, but I also haven't encountered multiple integrals in my studies yet, perhaps someone else will be able to help there.

The second integral you have there is easy enough (by u-substitution), but the first one is quite troubling.

EDIT: Just looking at your LaTeX (use tex and /tex in your brackets for the proper coding).

9. May 21, 2010 #8
    Oh yea, antiderivative. I thought I saw derivative. XD

I guess.. the only way to express the antiderivative of cosh(x^2) would be expressing it as a infinite sum using the maclaurin series?

10. May 21, 2010 #9
    Or you can also use the definition of cosh(x). Which is 1/2 (e^x+e^-x). But that won't help since you have cosh(x^2), not cosh(x), so therefore you'll have a sum of two infinite maclaurin series for e^x^2. XD

11. May 21, 2010 #10
    Oh it's a double integral... I should read ahead before posting. :\

12. May 21, 2010 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you sketch the integration region for

[tex]\int_0^1\int_{3y}^3\cosh(x^2)dxdy[/tex]

you should get a triangle with its base along the x-axis and vertices (0,0), (1,0) and (1,1). When you cut that region into vertical slices of thickness [itex]dx[/itex], you should find that [itex]y[/itex] ranges from zero to [itex]\frac{x}{3}[/itex], not x/3 to one.

[tex]\int_0^1\int_{3y}^3\cosh(x^2)dxdy=\int_0^3\int_0^{x/3}\cosh(x^2)dydx[/tex]

13. May 21, 2010 #12
    And there's where my lack of knowledge on multiple integrals comes in! Good luck on the rest of the problem!

14. May 21, 2010 #13
    And from there is really easy. :]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook